Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 24th, 2007 11:00

40gig hddrve almost full BUT my docs is empty

is my hard drive broken?

i cannot defragment. i've deleted everything i can. i don't know what else is on my hard drive.

where should i look?

is something hidden?

i cannot seem to find a big file of anything it says i only have free space of only 2.28g

do i need erase everything and reinstall window xp?

Message Edited by oohansel on 12-24-2007 07:59 AM

Message Edited by oohansel on 12-24-2007 08:00 AM

11 Posts

December 24th, 2007 13:00

thanks for your response

i did now only 2.40 gig avaliable

this is baffling i have moved my documents to another disk so it is empty.

is the computer saving some image

131 Posts

What's your operating system?

11 Posts

windows xp home edition.

is it storing some tipe of image somewhere?

11 Posts

thanks i did that already

but i don't know about hidden folders how can i do that?

and if it's hidden should i mess with it?

would it be 37.2 gig of sutff?!?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

Turn off the system restore (cpanel/system applet/advanced/system restore) and reboot the system.

131 Posts

I've cleared a lot of space on some drives with a scandisk.

Right-click on the drive in My Computer.
Select Properties
Select the Tools Tab
Select check now under Error checking
Check both boxes -- "Automatically fix . . . ", and "Scan for . . . "
Click "Start"

It'll ask if you want to check on the next startup because some files are in use.  Answer "Yes" and restart the computer.

It will check the drive on restart and take quite a while.  After it finally comes back up, search the drive for *.chk files.  Be sure to search hidden folders.

11 Posts

December 24th, 2007 14:00

found it !!! videos in an incomplete folder....

who knew!!!! :smileywink:

131 Posts

I'm grasping at straws, but I've had a few drives a third full of junk that the scan disk converted to CHK files, which I just deleted.

When you search the drive, select "All files and folders", type "*.CHK" in "all for part of the file name", and under "More advanced options" check "Search system folders", "Search hidden files and folders", " and "Search subfolders."

While on the subject of searching -- try leaving the "All or part of file name" blank and select "What size is it", specify the size in KB as "At least" and try something like 10,000.  That'll give you everything over 10Mb.  Maybe you'll stumble across some movies or something you've misplaced.

You've mentioned your documents folder, but have you checked "My Music" and other locations for large files?

11 Posts

hi!!!

i just ran this program called ashampoo

it says my 'documents and settings' is using 29.0 gig!! i don't know how. but how can i decide what to delete out of it???

i mean i have my docs on another drive on important is that?

11 Posts

thanks!!!

131 Posts

What?!  You mean I didn't have to type all that? :smileymad: :smileyvery-happy:

Glad you found it.  Merry Christmas.

11 Posts

thanks again. no luck...

could the hardrive b damaged

131 Posts

it's really hard to say without seeing your computer.  All kinds of stuff is stored under "Documents and Settings." 

Your email files are hidden there.  If you have a lot of emails, particularly with large attachments, they'll take a lot of room.  Check your Sent folder and other folders and delete what you can, then empty your deleted folder.

In Internet Explorer, you could try Tools, Options, Delete files and clean house there.

Do you have more that one user?  If so, each user will have a profile under "Documents and Settings."  If you have some that are no longer used, check back for directions on how to get rid of those.

No Events found!