Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

February 7th, 2018 08:00

AC511 Soundbar Headphone Issue

"AC511 headphone issues

When I plug headphones into my AC511 soundbar, the sound is very distorted. It sounds almost like the background noise is very amplified, whereas the words I was trying to hear were drowned out. The soundbar without headphones seems to be working quite well."

I am having this EXACT same issue. The topic was from a few years ago and locked. Did anyone find a solution to this?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

February 8th, 2018 08:00

If you have tested the USB Soundbar AC511 on multiple computers with multiple headsets, and the issue is present using all, then the $34 Soundbar is faulty. If still inside the 1 year warranty, Dell will exchange it. If not, simply replace it.

1 Message

April 6th, 2018 08:00

I was looking into this same issue and from another post I got this: if you are plugging in a headphone with embedded microphone (like the ones that came with iPhones when they had headphone jacks), sound is OK only when you are pressing the button on them. It seems the headphone jack on the AC511 is not compatible with these headphones. Is this your case too?

Possible solutions:

- Get cheap, no-mic headphones, or

- Tape pressed the button while using it

I am not sure this is possible to fix with software but, if so, they should update the driver to be compatible with these very common headphones.

Good luck!

1 Message

May 15th, 2018 06:00

This is my issue too. I am using headphones which have 1) a mic and 2) a volume switch (they are the Samsung S8 AKG earbuds). Sound is distorted with no bass -- and sometimes no vocals! -- unless I hold either volume up or down on the volume switch. I don't have this issue with other computers.

1 Message

November 8th, 2018 14:00

I had the same issue with a pair of headphones with a mic.

The solution to the issue was to back the plug out of the jack by one 'digit' (On a headphone set with a mic there are 4 metal contacts on the 3.5mm jack, insert only the first three). The problem went away 100%.

Apparently these soundbars are not compatible with headphones that have a mic. 

1 Message

April 29th, 2019 12:00

I am having the same issue with headphones that have no mic.

November 19th, 2019 08:00

I have had this soundbar issue. It works fine with older headphones that have no mic and no volume controls. If you do have a mic and/or volume controls, the best solution I have found is to use a miniature binder clip to keep the mic/volume button pushed DOWN - this allows the sound to work properly. I have used tape in the past but it is hard to get it on tight enough to keep the button pushed down. Hope this helps!

Mini binder clip pushing down on mic/volume button

June 17th, 2020 14:00

I had the same problem here. AC511M (Brazilian Version) with great sound but when I plug the headphone, the sound isn't good anymore.

Tested with 3 USB ports and 4 headphones (ranging from simple to high-end gamer headphones) and the problem appears with all setups.

The sound appears distant/echoes/low voices.... 

However, I found a "solution"... unplug the headphone jack a little bit (2 millimeters is ok)... and now, everything is Ok.   

I'll look for Dell for repair/exchange in warranty.

Problem AC511.png

No Events found!