Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 6th, 2011 16:00

C Drive & D Drive Space

I have C Drive of 52 GB and D Drive with 17GB

C is practically full and D is practically empty - how can I move space from D Drive to C Drive - rather than move files from C to D? I guess the original configuration of these drives was Dell determined. I am a basic computer user so hope response is not too technical :emotion-1:

Any advice gratefully received - this is my first ever use of a Forum so hope this is how to do it!!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 6th, 2011 16:00

Hi Ackc,

We generally prefer to know the model of your Dell and operating system. Otherwise, it's just a wild guess. :emotion-1:

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 6th, 2011 17:00

Dell used to have an article about this silly partitioning scheme that was on some computers last year--my 1764 laptop included. The system files and all factory installed programs were on C which was 60gb and the D partition was big and basically empty and should have been used for all programs, documents, photos and files. The article is no longer available, but it said that you can delete the D partition (and everything on it) in Disk Management and then extend the C partition to include the D portion. Then the whole drive would be C--which is what it should have been in the first place. This is not an easy task for a beginner and should not be done without a good backup and some help from others. I just moved the files in the Library to the D partition and installed all files, photos, videos and almost all programs on that partition. Win 7 has instructions in Help on how to move folders.

You can also use a 3rd party utility to repartition the drive. Easy BCD is one and there are others.

1 Message

January 12th, 2011 19:00

I'm a long time PC user and just bought a new Dell laptop with this same small drive C: configuration.  I was told by a "geek" at Best Buy that this is the way Dell is shipping all computers.  I couldn't find any good info on this but went ahead with my installation of software and files.  I know how to specify an installation onto Drive D, so no problem with my programs, but I quickly filled up Drive C with documents and photographic images which I put into Libraries folders.  I called Dell Support and the tech sounded like he had never heard of this situation and put me on hold to wait for someone else.  While I was waiting, I fiddled around looking at Properties and I think changing these might be an easy solution. Here's what I did:

Click the start (round logo in lower left corner) - Click "computer" in the gray column on the right - Click Drive D and set up new folders named "My Documents", My Music, My Pictures and My Videos on Drive D:. After you have created folders on Drive D:, Click the faint bullet next to "Libraries" which will expand the item - Click the bullet next to "Documents" to expand - Right click on My Documents, then select Properties at the bottom on the list - Click the tab for Location - In the box which shows the location probably C:\users\owner\ change this to read D:\My Documents (or wherever you opened the new folders) - Click OK.  If you have already placed files into the Libraries, the files will be moved to the new location which may take several minutes.  Now go through all of the folders in Libraries that you will use and change the location.  This will move the storage on your C: drive to your D: drive.  Just remember to take the extra step to install new programs on D: drive and you should be OK with space on C:  Hope this works!

No Events found!