Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 16th, 2010 09:00

CD-Rom drive won't read normal CDs after reading mini CDs

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help me on the following point:

I am running on a Dell Precision 330 Workstation, delivered some years ago with original CD-ROM reader, Lite-On LTN486 48x Max ATA Device.

I need to reset the CD reader to its original state. The reader has been working fine for several years, recently I put an 8 cm mini CD in it and could read its content fine.

However, after performing this action I cannot read normal CD disks anymore, the computer doesn't accept normal 12 cm CD disks but still working with 8 cm mini CD disks. I cannot reboot computer from CD for now. Not even cold restart resets the CD reader to normal state.

Obviously, there should be a setting in the BIOS which causes this undesired behavior. Possibly, the Lite-On LTN486 48x Max ATA Device firmware needs to be reset. Current BIOS is the Dell A09 for Precision 330 Workstation.

Very grateful for tips and tricks on this point.

Although the problem obviously not is related directly to the operating system I have the Windows Vista and the Windows XP installed in different partitions.

Many thanks in advance for your support!

Axel

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Hi Axel49,

Wow, that's a new one! 

Please try running the Dell diagnostics. This is normally installed on the hard drive and is accessed by hitting F12 at start-up. If the diagnostics are no longer there, you could try pulling this CD out and testing it in a different desktop system.

33 Posts

Hi Osprey4,

Nice to get response so very quickly!

In my environment the F2 key brings access to the BIOS setup and the F12 accesses the boot menu, diagnostics have never been visible here,

However, I checked the delivery package and the Dell Diagnostics Disk is available (item parcel still unopened). It is the version 3.76C US Rev A04, but such tools should hopefully still be downloadable from the Dell support home. I'll check it.

The computer is recently working with backups - I have mounted additional larger hard disks and it takes considerable time due to USB 1.0 interface.

It is a good idea to dismount the CD device and test it in another computer, however, I will try diagnostics first when computer is available for reboot.

Kind regards,

Axel

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 16th, 2010 11:00

Axel,

Since the CD is suspect, you have to run the diagnostics from some place else. Installing the diagnostics on a hard drive is not a straightforward process, so your only option is a bootable flash drive. I'm not sure if your system has that as an option but you can check to see if the BIOS lists a USB option under bootable devices (F2).

33 Posts

September 16th, 2010 12:00

Osprey4,

I know about making a bootable USB device, and, yes, I'm not certain whether the Dell Precision 330 Workstation BIOS A09 includes this option. I can remember that there are four alternates, diskette, CD/DVD and hard disk. But there is one more... Truly, I never read the list carefully, I only switch to the desired alternate when needed.  Indeed, I have used booting from USB on laptops without diskette possibility.

Meanwhile, Dell 32 Bit Diagnostics found on Dell homepage. LiteOn LTN-486 (Firmware) found on driverscollection.com, file name 486YH0X.zip, not available on the Dell support pages. Uncertain if this is the proper firmware. Let's see, there is a reason to why the Dell is not providing this firmware....

No Events found!