Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 18th, 2013 21:00

Can I use Firmware of Philips DROM6316 HH in DROM6316/97

I have a Dell Dimension C521 witha  DVD-ROM "DROM6316/97".

For a mistake I update my drive with a firmware for "DROM6316 HH"

Now the drive doesn´t work.

The drive is identified in BIOS and Windows XP, but doesn´t work.

I can´t find the original firmware in anyplace.

Can anyone help me?

Sorry about my poor english.

Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

August 19th, 2013 04:00

Hello F Souza,

Please help me understand from where did you install the firmware for DROM6316 HH. Did you try it from the dell support site? If not please try to install it and check how it goes. You may also try performing a system restore (allow you to return your computer to an earlier operating state without affecting data files) and check if the issue persists. Please refer to the owners manual to perform the system restore: http://bit.ly/1bLWuOO (Under Advanced Troubleshooting, expand Restoring your Operating System and select Using Microsoft Windows XP System Restore). 

Please try the steps and let me know how it goes. 

4 Posts

August 19th, 2013 11:00

Hi Helio!

I used the firmware from Dell Website (Philips DROM6316 HH SATA 16X DVDROM, v.ODNK, A05) - I used my service tag number to found it.

After the trouble that I tried a older firmware from Dell Website too (Philips DROM6316 HH SATA 16X DVDROM, v.ODFN, A04). The DVD accepts firmware upgrade (or dowmgrade)

I did that because in the labe of my DVD I have: H/W ver: 00 and F/W ver: ODFN.

Please note  with my DVD model is "DROM6316/97" not DROM6316 HH.

I will try restore my System, and post here,  but I thing with will not work because:

- Immediately when I turn on the computer the DVD respond to open or close.

- After I enter in Bios Setup, the setup recognize the DVD, but the DVD doesn´t respond.

- In the windows the same, but how I tol accepts changes in firmware.

I´m thinking, if my model accepts the firmware maybe it is dead now. Maybe a coincidence when change the firmware!

Thank you very much for your reply.

Best regards

4 Posts

August 19th, 2013 16:00

Now I tried returning the firmware "Philips DROM6316 HH SATA 16X DVDROM, v.ODNK, A05" (from Dell Website), the DVD is working, but the tray button doesn´t work, no in Bios Setup neither in XP.

Regards

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

August 20th, 2013 08:00

Hello F Souza,

Please try the suggestions mentioned in the article on Troubleshooting CD, DVD and Blu-Ray drive Issues in Windows XP (Under Table of Contets, select Drive Does Not Eject Discs) and see how it goes.

4 Posts

August 20th, 2013 08:00

Hi Alln, thanks again for your reply.

I will try when I arrive at home.

Do will think it´s ok with firmware?

Best regards.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

August 25th, 2013 03:00

Hello F Souza,

Apologies for the delay in response. Due to the DCF Downtime I was unable to reply. Please let me know if you have tried performing the system restore as mentioned in my earlier post. If the firmware has caused the issue, system restore can fix it. 

Please try the steps and write back with your findings. 

No Events found!