Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 22nd, 2011 07:00

DVD/CD drive reads DVDs fine, but not CDs - Dell Inspiron 1545 - Optiarc DVD +- RW AD-7580S

I've had my Inspiron for about a year and a half, and now when I try and put a CD in the drive, to put it into Itunes for example, the drive starts rotating the disc at high speed, then stops, then does this over and over without even registering that there is a disc in the drive, and my computer freezes up when this happens.

I'm running Windows 7 - 64bit

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Gordon

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 22nd, 2011 11:00

Hi Gordon,

Please run the Dell diagnostics on your drive (link to instructions below). What you want to do is a custom test, then perform the READ test with a data CD in the drive. That will tell us if you have a hardware problem.

April 22nd, 2011 13:00

I've run the tests, and they all passed fine. That would lead me to believe that it's a software problem. I'm glad there's nothing wrong with the drive though. What next?

Thanks

Gordon

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 22nd, 2011 16:00

Are you having problems with audio and data discs or just audio?

April 24th, 2011 15:00

No just audio. Data Cds are working fine, as are DVDs. not sure why it's just audio cds, but none of the several i've tried have worked.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 25th, 2011 05:00

Try running the CD/DVD fix (link below). This utility will try to identify driver or other problems.

April 25th, 2011 13:00

I used it, but each time I do, it tells me there's an unexpected error, and the Troubleshooter cannot continue. What do you suggest?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 25th, 2011 16:00

Go here and follow the instructions under "Let me fix it myself."

April 26th, 2011 06:00

I've been in and done as it told me to do, and edited the Registry removing the upper and lower filter registry entries, but still the problem exists, and nothing has changed.

What should I do?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 26th, 2011 17:00

Ok, here's an idea I have not had a chance to recommend. Press the Windows key and type "troubleshooting" and hit enter. Under the sounds category, troubleshoot audio playback. See if that's any help.

April 27th, 2011 02:00

I'm afraid this has been to no avail either. I've been searching online, and it looks as though the regedit fix usually works for people. However, it could be that the CD laser on the drive is faulty, but the DVD one isn't. However, buying a replacement internal Drive for an Inspiron Laptop seems to be impossible.

Anything else you'd suggest?

5 Posts

April 27th, 2011 22:00

I had similar issues for months and was moments from reformating and starting from scratch when I found random recommendation: Uninstall Itunes.  I did and CD's work fine.

No Events found!