Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 20th, 2008 17:00

DVD-RW drive will not read blank media!

My DVD-RW drive reads CDs and DVDs with content already on them, but when I load a blank disc and try to burn a CD or DVD, I keep getting error messages that there is no blank disc in the drive. I've checked the device manager, and it says that the device is working properly. Can anyone help??

Thanks for reading!!

5 Posts

July 20th, 2008 22:00

Thanks for the help...here's my info:

Dell DV051

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Processor:  Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz

Processor Speed:  2.73 GHz 

512 MB of Memory

Operating System Version 5.1.2600

Video Card: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 20th, 2008 22:00

Hi, Lakini:

Please read, "What to include in your post." I also need the model of your DVD drive, which you can find in device manager. Then post the requested information and we'll try to help you.

Thanks! :)

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 20th, 2008 23:00

The model number of your system should be right on the front of the case.

And the model number of your DVD drive can be found in device manager.

5 Posts

July 21st, 2008 00:00

Dimension E310

HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 21st, 2008 11:00

5 Posts

July 21st, 2008 22:00

When I attempt to download this, it gives me the message "Lower or Same Firmware Version." Should I still do it?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 21st, 2008 23:00

No, your drive is already up to date.

Let me suggest this idea. Grab DVD Identifier (link in my signature) and see if that program is able to detect a blank DVD in your drive. If it does, it will give you the media code. Let me know what you find.

5 Posts

July 22nd, 2008 01:00

This is the message I get:

ERROR : Unable To Initialize Disc In Time : Not ready - Logical unit not ready [02/04/01]

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 22nd, 2008 11:00

Can you give me the exact brand, speed and format of these discs?

28 Posts

September 13th, 2008 16:00

I have a HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B in a Dell XPS400. I'm on Windows XP Media Center, SP3. My drive currently reads and writes CDs, and reads DVDs, but it will not recognize a blank DVD. I've tested the blanks on another PC and they are fine. They are Staples DVD-R, up to 8x compatible, and I have successfully used them in this drive in the past to burn backups and movies.

I've updated the firmware, checked for other driver updates, upgraded to SP3, and run the Dell diagnostics. I took your advice to download DVD Identifier, and received the same error as the original poster.

Any help would be appreciated greatly.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 14th, 2008 10:00

Hi, shep:

The first thing I would try is deleting the upper and/or lower filters, following the instructions listed in the CD/DVD FAQ under "code 39 error".

28 Posts

September 14th, 2008 13:00

Ok, did not find upper limits, but deleted lower limits. During the reboot, got a message concerning a Pinnacle driver problem, did I want to correct. I clicked no, and checked a blank with MediaPlayer, no disk, and Sonic, no drive! I guess it disabled the drive, so I rebooted again and clicked yes. This returned the lower limits to the registry.

When I look at the drivers for that drive in Device Manager, I see drivers from three companies, Microsoft of course, and Sonic and Pinnacle. I have MediaPlayer, Sonic Digital Media Plus and Pinnacle Studio installed. These were once compatable, but perhaps never more.

Do I need to uninstall all of these programs and install them again?

28 Posts

September 20th, 2008 12:00

What do you suggest? This probably lame, but I have many application titles whose functions overlap, and I'm not sure what I need. The PC came with Sonic and MediaPlayer. I bought Dazzle from Pinnacle and it came with Studio. I wish there was an easy way to inventory all the software on the PC , and evaluate what is truly necessary.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 20th, 2008 15:00

Sorry, Shep, I didn't see your 9/14 message.

It should not be a problem having more than one program for specific applications. At least, in theory.

Let's try this. Work through the first two steps of these standard troubleshooting steps. Do both at once before rebooting.

Next, grab DVD Identifier and see if that program is able to read a blank DVD in your drive. That will separate a hardware from a software issue.

28 Posts

December 13th, 2008 10:00

It's been a while, been swamped with work.

Completed recommended steps. After rebooting had to use the Driver Reset Tool to fix the Primary IDE Channel, and reboot again.

[13:02:54] Waiting For Drive To Initialize Disc...
[13:02:56] ERROR : Unable To Initialize Disc In Time : Not ready - Medium not present [02/3A/00]

Sonic Software will not recognize the drive.

No Events found!