Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 25th, 2008 09:00

DVD-RW wont read anything but CD's

I have a Vostro 410 running Vista Home Premium and until a few days ago it was working perfectly but now the DVD-RW cannot read anything apart from CD's. Device Manager doesn't report any problems.

I've tried movies, games and DVD's that I've previously burned, but none of them are recognized. Even CD's that I have burned won't work. The only thing that I can get to work are games on CD and purchased music CD's. Cleaning the discs and using a lens cleaner has no effect either.

The Drive (PLDS DVD+-RW DH-16A6S ATA) can see blank media and seems to be able to burn but whenever I put that burned disc back into the drive it won't recognize it.

All the discs that I've tried in the drive work perfectly in both DVD drives of my other PC. 

I'm not sure what I can do, is there anything that I can check or is the drive simply done?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 25th, 2008 10:00

Hi, asmz:

Please grab this Dell diagnostic download. 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

You can run this program from a bootable flash drive or floppy. Run the diagnostics on your DVD drive with a data DVD in the drive and let's see if any hardware issues are indicated.

11 Posts

October 27th, 2008 11:00

I did as you suggested and tried to boot from the USB drive, but all I get is "NTLDR is Missing, Press any Key To Continue"

After reading a few of the other posts on this forum I tried  pressing F12 during boot up and from the boot menu I chose the utility patition and the CD\DVD diagnostics.

During the first test I ran I had the "Rise of Nations" game CD in the drive. It passed the Device Quick Check, but when it came to the Read Test I received the following message:-

ERROR CODE 0F00:021B

MSG DVDRW_1 - Block 414 Flaw in media or an error in the recorded data

The Seek Test and the Built In Self Test both passed.

I ran the tests again but this time with "Battlefield 2" Game DVD in the drive. This time during the Read Test I got this message:-

"The CD inserted in your CD-ROM Drive does not contain any data tracks" and prompted me to insert another disc.

I put the Microsoft Works Suite DVD in the drive and I got the same message. It produced the same message when I moved on to the Seek Test.

Message Edited by asmz35 on 10-27-2008 10:38 AM

October 27th, 2008 15:00

I have exactly the same problem by the sounds of it, I would be interested to hear what the solution is as I have tried numerous suggestions and still not managed to solve this.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 27th, 2008 23:00

Hi:

The download I linked to can test both CDs and DVDs. You might try a floppy version if you have a floppy drive.

That error may indicate a laser problem, but since you're reading CDs, I'm not sure what to make of it.

October 28th, 2008 07:00

I have managed to run the diagnostics but I get the "The CD inserted in your CD-ROM Drive does not contain any data tracks" error. I have also sent an e-mail to Dell Support so if I get a reply/solution, I will post it on here.

11 Posts

October 28th, 2008 09:00

Hammy,

I too have e-mailed Dell about this problem, Hopefully between the two of us we'll get a solution.

October 30th, 2008 08:00

asmz35

Just had a call from Dell, I ran the tests from an e-mail they sent that checks the drive using the Diagnostic Utility. Got a fail on the "disc contains no data tracks". I have tried an older dvdrw drive using a usb caddy from my old XP box, Vista detected that fine and read the same disc that my Dell drive could not read. I'll keep you updated!

October 30th, 2008 15:00

I have just had a Dell technician remotely connect to my machine and also on the phone. He deleted the registry entry relating to UpperFilters, uninstalled the drive and restarted my machine. I inserted an OS DVD and then failed to detect, and also failed to boot from at startup. He confirmed that Dell are sending out another DVD drive for me to install. It will arrive on Monday, hopefully this should resolve my issue.
Message Edited by Hammy84 on 10-30-2008 11:48 AM

11 Posts

October 31st, 2008 10:00

@Hammy84 wrote:
I have just had a Dell technician remotely connect to my machine and also on the phone. He deleted the registry entry relating to UpperFilters, uninstalled the drive and restarted my machine. I inserted an OS DVD and then failed to detect, and also failed to boot from at startup. He confirmed that Dell are sending out another DVD drive for me to install. It will arrive on Monday, hopefully this should resolve my issue.
Message Edited by Hammy84 on 10-30-2008 11:48 AM

I've just had A Dell technician remotely connect to my machine too, and he went through the same process you describe.

Now it seems a Dell engineer is coming out to replace the drive. With any luck that will be and end to the problem. 

3 Posts

March 9th, 2009 02:00

ive done lots of work with dvd players,and mostly when the case goes like that( reads cd's but not dvd's), it indicates that some of the laser lens has weakened.you need only at least two lenses to read a cd.all the lenses on the reader should be working to be able to read a dvd.this is most likely the case in ur computer..if u can open the drive, u can try spraying air unto the lens to clean it but must avoid moisture getting into it.good luck

No Events found!