Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 30th, 2010 09:00

Dead XPS 420

Have had a series of "bad image" dialogue boxes and service manager shut downs related to different applications.  System would eventually lock up and had to hard boot.  Now it boots to the DELL NETBIOS screen, loads the Intel Matrix Storage Manager option ROM v7.6.1.1001  ICH9R

Drive 0 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-0

Alert!  Failed to detect one or more drives during POST

Strike the F1 key to continue, F2 to run the setup utility Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics.

Would welcome some direction on where to go from here.  Thank you in advance.

Rick

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 30th, 2010 12:00

Hi, Roderick63:

From all appearances, your hard drive has failed. You could try running the diagnostics, but given that the BIOS fails to detect your drive, I think it's fruitless.

You need an SATA drive of any capacity. The installation procedure is very easy, as shown in your manual. <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

I can provide a link to the operating system reinstallation procedure if you tell me what operating system you have. 

10 Posts

January 31st, 2010 07:00

Thank you for your reply.  My XPS just came out of one year of ownership, but I see that most HD manufacturers have a 3 year warranty.  Any advice on how I should proceed getting a replacement under warranty?  Mfg of mine is Seagate.  BTW, my OS is Vista 64

Many Thanks,

Rick

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 31st, 2010 10:00

Rick:

The three year warranty, or five for some Seagate drives, only applies to after-market purchases. Your drive is covered by the Dell warranty, so you'll have to take it up with them. 

The OS installation procedure is here. You'll need to follow the manual procedure.

Good luck, and let me know how things work out with Dell.

10 Posts

February 6th, 2010 15:00

Hey Osprey,

My warranty was a day out so I had to buy a new HD.  Bought a WD Caviar Black.  I have installed it in it's bay (upside down as my Seagate was?) booted the system and no boot partition was found.  I changed the boot routine to select my DVD drive and inserted my OS disk that came with my machine.  I'm getting nothing but a blank screen.  Any thoughts?

Rick

10 Posts

February 7th, 2010 16:00

Osprey,

Please disregard previous post.  HD is formatted, partitioned, and OS is loaded.  I believe my final step is to restore my System.  I attempted to do this through the restore option in control panel, but it wont recognize the backups on my external drive.  I seem to recall another option to do this, but am drawing a blank.  Any assistance you can provide is most welcome.

Regards,

Rick

No Events found!