Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

December 18th, 2017 02:00

Dell OptiPlex 7010 upgrade SSD

I want to upgrade my Dell OptiPlex 7010 SFF to boot from SSD instead of HDD without replacing the present HDD so I can keep as storage, can I connect the SSD to SATA0 port and how can I set the BIOS to boot from SSD?thank you

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 18th, 2017 03:00

Disconnect the hard drive, connect ONLY the SSD, and reload WIndows.  Once that's done, you can reconnect the hard drive to the system and reformat it as a storage drive.  You can also image the existing hard drive to an external drive, remove it and boot from your cloning software's recovery media -- once that's done, you can reconnect the hard drive to the system.

42 Posts

December 18th, 2017 07:00

Is this disconnection necessary? this model has port SATA0 unused that mean it can connects to two HDDs? can both be bootable and can set the BIOS of boot sequence accordingly?

2.3K Posts

December 19th, 2017 10:00

It is if your HDD has a boot sector installed and has been used to boot the computer.  If you do a fresh install and your SSD is a standard SATA 2.5in you should be able to wipe everything on the HDD, connect the SSD to SATA0 and HDD to SATA1 and Windows should see and install to the SSD.  That is how i've done it.  The above method from EJN63 is a must if you are using an M.2 SSD/NVMe which your system does not have.  Regardless before you install any hardware, backup your data first.

42 Posts

December 19th, 2017 12:00

Hi, thank you for the response, on connecting the SSD to SATA0 port will the SSD be shown in the BIOS booting sequence as 4th booting option? at present I can see three booting sequences in the BIOS the HDD and the DVDdrive and NIC.

2.3K Posts

December 20th, 2017 09:00

If you disconnect the HDD, it should show up as the 'new' HDD or be labeled SSD.  If you wiped the HDD (after backing up or saving your data) and you install it on SATA0, you will see the HDD and SSD in BIOS.  The boot order generally isn't an issue as you have to tell Windows where to install the OS, which tells the BIOS what to boot from.  

42 Posts

December 20th, 2017 10:00

Hi BeamerMT79, thank you for the information, I am not familiar with Dell BIOS, others simply lists the SATA ports and tell you which one is empty or filled, then you can set the Booting sequences, in this model I saw three listed booting sequences the HDD and DVD and NIC, now if I connect SSD to the empty SATA0 port will the booting sequences list four options? the HD and DVD, and NIC and SSD?

2.3K Posts

December 20th, 2017 15:00

It should yes.  You have to make sure you put the OS on the SSD.  When you run the Windows setup you should be given the option to put it on the SSD.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 28th, 2017 20:00

I want to upgrade my Dell OptiPlex 7010 SFF to boot from SSD instead of HDD without replacing the present HDD so I can keep as storage, can I connect the SSD to SATA0 port and how can I set the BIOS to boot from SSD?

You should be able to boot from any port by changing the boot order in the BIOS. 

42 Posts

December 29th, 2017 02:00

Yes that what is expected, but the BIOS now shows three sequences the HDD and DVD and NIC, now if I connect the SSD to SATA0 port will it appears as 4th booting sequence? I am not sure about the NIC (network Interface controller)

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 29th, 2017 05:00

SSD = HDD  in BIOS/UEFI

June 21st, 2018 22:00

CAN I INSTALL AN M2 SSD IN THIS MODEL DELL OPTIPLEX 7010? HOW DO I DO IT?
No Events found!