Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 9th, 2016 18:00

Dell Optiplex 780 disk drive not reading any disks

I have a Optiplex 780 SFF and I can't get the disk drive to work .It powers on I put a CD/DVD in  it seems to be reading it and then just stops powers off.

I have tried two other drives both from 780's and all do exactly the same thing?What could be the problem

Brian 

1.8K Posts

January 11th, 2016 14:00

Hi Brian,

I'm assuming you mean that the optical drive powers down and doesn't end up reading the disk.   I would recommend you check out Osprey's Optical Drive toolbox.    Osprey is one of our more knowledgeable users and created some good content on fixing problems with DVD / CD drives.

It sounds like it's an issue with the upper / lower filters in Windows and Osprey's guide will walk you through the process of clearing those filters.

Let us know what you find out and if you're able to resolve the problem.   If you need additional troubleshooting help please post here with what you've tried out of Osprey's guide and click on my Dell Todd username to send me a private message with the service tag of the system you're trying to fix.  Please keep all troubleshooting discussions here on the message boards so others can find help when they search.

Todd

5 Posts

January 11th, 2016 18:00

I tried to alter the registry but could not find anything related to filters attached a copy of what was there.

1.8K Posts

January 12th, 2016 12:00

Hi,

In the registry are you seeing this subkey at all?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

You may want to try the Fixit Tool from Microsoft (which is about 1/3 of the way down the page) depending on which OS you currently have on the system.  

Do you know which specific make / model of CD / DVD drive is in that system?  And did you use the same ones when you tried others?   (I'm going to see if I can find a firmware update for that specific optical drive)

Todd

5 Posts

January 12th, 2016 21:00

Microsoft does not have fixit tools for windows 10 as yet,so it will not run.The snip I sent was what was in 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} only mine was in lower case .I did a registry search and couldn't find it either.

At one stageI received a message which said said there was no drivers for the DVD loaded and I  have downloaded several files from dell and they have made no difference ,I have also  updated the Bios .

I can' seem to find a driver on the Dell web site ?

The drives I have tried are TEAC DV-28S, Philips/Lite-on Model DS-8A4S and the one in the machine appears to be the same as the latter. 

Brian

1.8K Posts

January 13th, 2016 13:00

Hi,

I didn't realize you were running Win10 on those Opti's, since they're not on the list of systems we tested and confirmed to be compatible with Windows 10.  There won't be a driver released for the Opti 780s and Windows 10.  

Is this system the only one that is experiencing this problem?  The other optical drives you tried, are those from other systems that are working normally?  When you updated the BIOS did you confirm that the BIOS is reading those drivers as components in the system?

I searched on Lite-On's website for firmware updates but couldn't find one.  I did find a downloads page for utilities, and one of the last one's listed is for an auto-updater for their optical drives.  You may consider trying that to see if it helps.

Todd

5 Posts

January 13th, 2016 15:00

Thanks Tod 

Will try the utilities and see if helps .At the moment I have an external Samsung hooked up to a USB port  and this is recognised by windows and works fine .

Yes the drive was working till I did the upgrade to windows 10 .

Will go and get the utilities package and give it ago.

Brian

5 Posts

January 14th, 2016 03:00

I tried the utilities package and still no joy .Is there a way to get a generic driver to load.Also another question below the hard drive on the motherboard is there another SATA connection ,as I can't find a schematic of the motherboard anywhere,do you know if one is available? 

1.8K Posts

January 14th, 2016 12:00

Hi Brian,

There is a compatibility mode in Windows 10 we could try.  See this link about half way down the page.  I think this is the latest firmware update for the Philips / Lite-on DS-8A4S.  Not positive it will work, to be honest.

I found quite a few images of the Opti 780 SFF motherboard online but I couldn't find a true schematic, unfortunately.  From what I can see of the internal documentation there are two SATA connectors (SATA0, SATA1) between the power connection and front panel connection on the motherboard.  But there also appears to be a SATA2 connection just above the fan connector and just left of the password jumper.

Todd

No Events found!