Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

January 11th, 2008 19:00

Dimension 8300 Starts then Freezes after Power Outage

Hello, Im having problems with my Dimension 8300.  Computer is a few years old, however it has been great and has given me no problems until recently.  Its a pentium 4 and i run windows xp.  About 3 days ago my power went out in my home, shutting the computer down instantly.  Now when I turn it on, it starts up fine, goes through all the normal sequences, even starts AIM as soon as windows comes up.  However, wen I go to do click on anyhting, any icon, or cancel out aim, or cancel out spysweeper, it suddenly freezes.  I can still move my mouse but I cannot click on anything.  Control alt delete does nothing as well.  Once I was able to click on start and go to control panel, but it never came up and it froze there.  The computer ran fine and never had a problem up until that power outage.  Ive disconnected everything, cleaned and dusted, tried new power outlets in the house, nothing seems to work and i always get the same result.  Also, no amber color on the front, always green and looks ok.  I've noticed a weird sound though, inside the tower.  It sounds like its tryin to loud something, but its very short, and repeating.  Like it loads for a sec, stops for a sec, loads for a sec, stops for a sec, etc.  It keeps doing this over and over again.  Anyway, this is all the information I can attain, and if anyone can help I would really appreciate it.  Thanks in advance!

1 Rookie

• 

3.9K Posts

January 12th, 2008 12:00

try booting to safe mode, then run a system restore to before the problem occurred

January 12th, 2008 13:00

Thanks for reply dage.  I tried this, but when I tried running in safe mode, alls i got was a black screen, safe mode in 4 corners and the OS i was using up top, which is windows xp. I couldnt do anyhting from here except move the mouse around the black screen.  Anything else I could do??

1 Rookie

• 

3.9K Posts

January 14th, 2008 13:00

How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from Starting (Copy Hives in RC)

NOTE:If a message Access Denied is displayed while attempting this fix, try the alternative below :

cd \ (Enter)
cd windows\system32\config (Enter)
ren system system.bak
exit

Restart the computer and begin at Step 1 below

Registry File Failure/System Restore from Recovery Console

Using How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from Starting (Q307545) may not be possible because the steps in the Microsoft article refer to a folder not created in the OEM image. When a computer is shipped from our factory, the OS image is replicated into the HDD, and the repair folder is never created.

NOTE:The procedure described in this article uses System Restore from the Recovery Console. If the system gives an error when it fails to boot to the desktop, follow all the listed steps in their specific order to ensure that the process completes fully. Once this procedure completes, the system should return to a state similar to the use of System Restore within Windows.
This method cannot be used if you are unable to boot into the Recovery console Command prompt.
Refer to 'The Password Is Not Valid' Error Message Appears When You Log On to Recovery Console in Windows XP to install the recovery console onto the system hard drive.

When you try to start or restart your Windows XP-based computer, you may receive one of the following error messages:

Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM
Windows XP could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SOFTWARE
Stop: c0000218 {Registry File Failure} The registry cannot load the hive (file): \SystemRoot\System32\Config\SOFTWARE or its log or alternate

Step 1:

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, use the following steps:

• Boot the computer from Windows XP CD-ROM.
  • At the message Press any key to boot from CD press Enter.
  • When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
  • If you are prompted to do so, type the Administrator password. If an Administrator password is not set, just press Enter.

NOTE:If you cannot pass the Administrator Password field, it may be possible to install the recovery console on the system hard drive. Refer to 'The Password Is Not Valid' Error Message Appears When You Log On to Recovery Console in Windows XP to install the recovery console onto the system hard drive.

Step 2:

At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing Enter after you type each line:

All commands that are to be typed in command prompt are in BLUE color for clarity of the content, and pressing Enter is required for executing each command at the Recovery Console.

cd \ - There should be blank space between cd and \ or else the command will not work.
    cd system~1\_resto~1
    dir

• When you press enter, the screen lists all the restore points folders like RP1, RP2, RP3, etc. Look for the most recent date to determine the restore point from which to copy. It is common for the restore points to require more than one page to display. To advance though the restore points, press Enter. It is a good rule of thumb to choose the restore point folder which is dated the day prior to the occurence of the error reported.

cd rp# (the last restore point no.) - Example : cd rp9, if rp10 is the last restore point, use restore point 9 to restore the system to a date prior to the error reported.

cd snapshot

dir

Perform all of the following to reduce the likelyhood of continued error:

copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system
    copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software
    copy _registry_machine_sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
    copy _registry_machine_security c:\windows\system32\config\security
    copy _registry_user_.default c:\windows\system32\config\default
    (Make sure to type a period in the _.default line)

When prompted to overwrite, choose A to Copy All files.

Remove the Operating System CD and type exit to restart the computer.

NOTE:If any error message is returned while in the recovery console, use an earlier restore point.
    Example: If tried with RP9, step back to RP8 and start with Step 1.
    If an error message occurs after restarting system, attempt to boot to Safe Mode, and then restart normally.

Reference : How to Recover from a Corrupted

132 Posts

January 14th, 2008 15:00

Hi it sounds as if to me you would need to run an error check on you hard drive, if you ever get to where you can access the C: drive, hope this helps    Terry
    No Events found!