Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

X

March 14th, 2005 06:00

Does seagate momentus 40gb from dell come with 5 years warranty?

Hi, I want to buy a 5400rpm hd for my old laptop. And i think seagate momentus 40gb with 8mb cache will be a good choice. However, i cannot find any description of the warranty issue on the website. Does anyone have experience with this? thank you in advance!

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 14th, 2005 10:00

Retail purchases should be covered. If you want to be sure, buy from newegg.com or one of the other big online vendors - you won't get a model labeled for OEM sale (and therefore with a shorter warranty).

3 Posts

March 14th, 2005 16:00

3 Posts

March 14th, 2005 19:00

I talked to a representative through online chat, and got the following information :"all the parts which SKU # are xxx-xxxx, xxxxx are Dell parts . Apart from this SKU # all the other parts are from OEM."

For the Seagate HD:

Manufacturer Part# ST94811A
Dell Part# A0242099

Also, it seems that all third party products in dell's website have dell part #.

So i'm totally confused... Did anybody purchase this HD from dell before? could you please verify the warranty information? thanks!

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 14th, 2005 19:00

Since it has a Dell part number, I'd suspect it's warranted by Dell, not Seagate.

307 Posts

March 15th, 2005 13:00

I would expect it to be an OEM drive which is warrented by Dell (and they will most likely only cover it for as long as your PC is covered)... But u could always buy it and check the warrenty with segate via the drive serial number and return it to Dell if it's not what you expect...
No Events found!