Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 26th, 2015 18:00

FAILED Targeted Read Test and the SMART Short Self Test. Looking for assistance.

I have an Inspiron 3521 which is less than 2 years old. My hard drive is a Seagate 500 GB running Windows 8.

While shutting down, a message 'Task Host Window  is running background tasks' is being displayed.
I was asked to Force Shut Down or to close the process by clicking cancel.
I already tried Force Shut Down(Shut Down Anyway) and my PC behavior was adversely affected.

I conducted a Hardware Scan on Dell Support and the results said their were 8 bad sectors (I believe that was the correct terminology) found and then I performed an advance scan. Result found critical errors both with the Targeted Read Test and the SMART Short Self Test.  Both failed. It was recommended to replace my hard drive which is not a possibility at this time.

​​I've browsed many forums and no proper solution is available to this problem.

Hot fixes are made available for Windows 7 bot not for Windows 8.
I hope a solution and Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 27th, 2015 07:00

advocateme

There are no solutions for failed hard drives, you need to replace the hard drive, followed by reloading windows.

If you have a Dell warranty in effect, contact Dell's Technical Support for the replacement hard drive, no warranty, then you need to buy the HD.

Bev.

No Events found!