Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 6th, 2009 20:00

HD failing

I had a couple of BSoD crashes  yesterday on my XP, and ended up running Dell Diagnostics.

The Dell Hard Drive Diagnostics gave me a "Fail: return Code 7" on Drive 0, which I assume is my C:\ HD, and which I assume refers to read errors indicating a failing HD (if I'm wrong, please correct me!)

At any rate, does it matter what HD I replace it with? Dell does not seem to sell HD replacements.

This is for a Dell Dimension 9100 (4 years old, and only 3 months out of warranty, wouldn't you know).

My current HD specs:
Model ID ST3160023AS
Manufacturer Seagate
Hard Disk Name Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 160023
Form Factor 3.5"
Formatted Capacity 160 GB
Disks 2

Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 6th, 2009 20:00

joe53

Yep, that error indicates the primary C:/ is failing and you need to replace it

A 3.5", 7200rpm SATA hard drive is required and this can be purchased from computer store, plus back up, to other media and files and folders you need to save.

Bev.

5.8K Posts

October 6th, 2009 21:00

Bev:

Thanks for the info.

I have my files backed up by Acronis to an external USB HD, so I should be ok. Then again, I've never had to go through this type of restoration before.Wish me luck!

Joe

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 6th, 2009 21:00

Joe.

Good luck and I hope everything works out. 

If you have any problems, or need any help, just post back.

Bev.

5.8K Posts

October 8th, 2009 17:00

I thought it would be easier, but I keep running into roadblocks.

The only 3.5" 7200 SATA HDs available these days are huge in comparison to my 160GB failing drive. I settled on a 1.0 TB Seagate HDD, which I was assured would be compatible. It's manual, however states:

"Older 1.5 GB/sec SATA motherboards and host controllers ... do not support auto speed negotiation with newer 3.0 GB/sec drives. Systems with these chipsets will hang, or lock up, or fail to detect during boot." It goes on to list a few older chipsets/host controllers (eg: VIA and others). My chipset is Intel(R) 945GV Express Chipset Family, which was not among those listed.

I have no idea whether this applies to my 9100. I couldn't find any transfer rate info on my current HD or MoBo in my original invoice,  System Information, Device Manager, Aida32,  Everest Home, or SIW.

Seagate did provide a jumper to "force the drive into the 1.5 GB/sec transfer mode", and the instructions on how and where to place it. I just don't know if I should or not.

(arggghhhh!!)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 8th, 2009 20:00

joe53

The 9100 is SATA I, [1.5gb], but SATA II [3.0gb] hard drives are backwards compatible to SATA I, the drive should install without using the 'Jumper'.

SATA 160gb and larger hard drives are still available, see HERE

Bev.

5.8K Posts

October 9th, 2009 12:00

Thanks so much for that info Bev.

NewEgg in Canada doesn't offer nearly as much, and no 160 GB HDs. I wanted to stick with Seagate, and the one TB I got on sale from Staples included cables and software. Plus ordering online meant some delay.

I'll have to learn about resizing partitions when I transfer my backup image, but I found a (37 page!) manual at Acronis' website on how to do this. I'll let you know how it goes.

Joe

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 9th, 2009 12:00

Joe.

Good luck.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 9th, 2009 21:00

Joe.

I've found it easier to temporarily to install the new hard drive as the secondary and use Acronis to image the exsisting primary C:/ to it.

After cloning the drive, immediately shut the system down, switch the data cable [SATA port 0] to the new drive, making the new hard drive the master and see if the system boots correctly. Boot the system with only the new hard drive connected.  

Remember to leave the original drive disconnected.

A second SATA data cable will be required for this, there should be a spare SATA power connector inside the case.

Bev.

5.8K Posts

October 9th, 2009 21:00

After a 5 hour re-installation of my system from an external USB HD to my new HD, I keep getting BSOD's at bootup:
IRQL_NOT_ LESS_OR_EQUAL

... related to recent hardware installation. I am posting this from Safe Mode with internet, since Windows won't load.

Looks like I'll have to re-install my failing HD.

5.8K Posts

October 10th, 2009 00:00

Sorry Bev, but your instructions are beyond me.

I'm very disapointed in Acronis. It failed me.

I'm off for the next few days (Canada's Thanksgiving). I need a break.

5.8K Posts

October 12th, 2009 18:00

Bev:

Holy moly: what a roller-coaster ride this has been!

At one point I was certain I had bricked this system, when the only thing it would boot into was a BSOD or a Dell diagnostics screeen.

I'm not sure how how I did it, but it involved Safe Mode, Erunt restoring a prior registry, and the Seagate software allowing me to clone an image from my old failing drive to the new drive, as you suggested.

At any rate, the problem is now solved. The Dell diagnostics confirms I have a good new one TB HDD. I am most grateful for your help.

Whew!

Joe

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 12th, 2009 19:00

Joe.

That's great and I'm happy to hear the 1tb hard drive installation went well.   :emotion-21:

Bev.

Ps. Ain't computers fun.    :emotion-13:

No Events found!