Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

February 1st, 2015 07:00

HDD recognized, but in a roundabout way!

My last mess-up was trying to fix my main problem. I had a new hard drive put in my XPS L501X (warranty expired), but did not want to give it up). One problem. Worked fine, but then it started freezing after "Welcome" screen and a cursor would appear in the upper left hand corner of the screen.  I can live with it, but the only way I can boot the XPS is hit F2 , highlight the hard drive or hit F12, hit enter after either and the laptop boots fine.  No other problems. I paid Dell to put it in and support tried to help, failed, and wanted more money. I just decided to live with it. Hard drive listed in setup, boot, device manager, etc., but cannot figure out what the problem is. Just bought an Alienware,but nomatter the computer for some reason this XPS is still my favorite. Thank you all for any info.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 1st, 2015 10:00

Go into the system setup (F2 at powerup) and make sure the hard drive is the first boot device listed in the boot sequence.

3 Posts

February 1st, 2015 11:00

I did. After opening with F2, I move over to "Boot". I then hit " enter" and the hard drive number opens and is highlighted. I then hit F10 and the laptop boots up smoothly. No problems after that.

No Events found!