Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

October 15th, 2007 19:00

HELP! "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down..."

So last night I boot my mom's computer and this annoying little message pops up in a bold blue screen:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk-defragmentation, or back up utilities. Check your hard drive configuration and check for any updated drivers. Run CHDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.

Technical Information:

*** STOP:0x00000024 (0x00190203,0x82304848,0xC0000102,0x000000000)

Please help me! I've restarted the computer plenty of times, unplugged it and let it sit for a while, and restarted again! Nothing works! I don't know how to check the hard drive configuration or do anything for that matter since this keeps popping up. As for running CHDSK /F, I wouldn't be able to do that even if I knew how since the computer won't even get to the login screen!

My computer is a Dell Dimension 3000, and the warranty expired sometime in 2005.

I really, really need help with this.

414 Posts

October 15th, 2007 20:00

There may be a problem with your hard drive. I would run tests on that first to see if that is the cause. Try hitting F12 as soon as you see the Dell logo when you turn the computer on. From the options, choose Hard Drive Diagnostics. Does it say pass or fail for the drive? If it passes, reboot and hit F12 again, then choose Boot to Utility Partition. Then choose express test. Do you get any error codes there? (If you don't have a CD in your drive when you run this it will prompt you to enter one with an error code, just put a software cd in and hit retry.) If you don't get any error codes, do you still have the operating system disc for your computer? If so, put it in, reboot and hit F12 on the Dell logo again, this time choosing the cd drive, then make sure to hit a key quickly when it says press any key to boot from cd. Then give it a couple minutes to load and it will say Press R to enter Recovery Console. From there, you should be able to run chkdsk. I would run chkdsk /r.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

jaeblade

Boot the WinXP CD.
Enter the Recovery Console by pressing ' r ' when prompted.
Then from the command prompt run chkdsk C: /f

How to start the Recovery Console

Note: There is a chance that your partition is corrupt beyond repair and all of your data is lost.

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

12.7K Posts

The more you continue trying to repair the problem, the less likely you can save your Data.

If you have data you cannot afford to lose, remove the hard drive and install it in another XP PC as a secondary hard drive, see if you can copy your data off of the hard drive, now that your data is safely backed up, run the chkdsk /r   on the drive while it is installed in the other PC.

Some recommend using a external usb hard drive enclosure to put the problem drive in, then plug it into another PC with XP. I prefer the first method to increase the chance to save your data.

If you don't care about your data, follow this guide to run chkdsk /r from a XP CD

If you get it to boot again, Defragment the drive, then run the Dell diagnostics on the Hard drive
F12 at the Dell logo at boot time gets you to the diagnostics, run the extended tests, the hard drive may be failing.

Message Edited by mombodog on 10-15-2007 04:29 PM

3 Posts

October 16th, 2007 18:00

Okay, I'm going to see if my mom has the XP disc anymore!

It turns out that the computer was working fine. Then it was left sitting there for almost an hour (since my brother and sister decided to start playing the Xbox 360.) When my sister went back to the computer it was slow, as it usually is when it has been resting a while and is suddenly put back into action.
The internet was unresponsive and everything was really slow.
She got impatient and powered off the computer using the button and when she restarted it the blue screen came up.

Maybe that helps.

October 17th, 2007 22:00

This happens to my compaq Presario 2100 and when i tried to re install windows it the gave me blue screen. so i waited aday and i can use it regulary but if i do a disc defragment or clena up it gives that blue screen. Ihave a bad HD.

3 Posts

October 18th, 2007 19:00

So you're saying that it worked after you reinstalled Windows XP and waited a day?
:smileysurprised:

October 3rd, 2008 16:00

I read your thread with some interest. I am experiencing the same problem: 

II get a blue screen with this message:

*** STOP: 0x0000008E (0XC0000005, 0xBF803 EB6, 0xf94A57cA 0x00000000)

*** win32k.sys - Adress BF803eb6 base at BF800000, date stamp 47e0e106

I have tried to start in the safe mode, and attempted restore ... with no luck.  So what is going on with this computer? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

No Events found!