Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2010 16:00

Hard disks keep failing

Two weeks ago the hard disk on my daughters Inspiron 1521 failed. At that time I purchased a new 500GB WD Scorpio and the install went smoothly.

Yesterday the new disk also failed. When I attempt to boot in Safe Mode the system hangs on the crcdisk checking routine, which was the same story when the original disk failed two weeks ago.

It has to be more than a coincidence that two totally separate disks failed weeks within each other. I want to blame Vista but I think it's deeper than that. Any ideas what could cause the laptop to start eating disks at such a rapid rate?

My daughter uses it for "light" tasks, mostly surfing and no direct downloading, so I don't think she is getting into something she shouldn't. I'm suspecting hardware.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

February 9th, 2010 17:00

The two things that can destroy hard drives in short order are overheating and shock.  Is the system running too hot, or is it being bounced around when it is powered on (such as misusing it by situating it on a lap while in use)?

4 Posts

February 9th, 2010 17:00

Thanks for the reply. Shock can't be an issue but heat sure can. The bottom of the unit runs very hot. However, when I pulled the disk out a few minutes ago (and the system was hot), it wasn't terribly hot to the touch. I attribute that to it being located on the other side of where the heat is actually being generated. Assuming it is heat, what, if anything, can be done about it? The laptop is about 15 months old and I'd hate to have to scrap it.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 10th, 2010 04:00

Hi, the400kid:

I'd chalk it up to bad luck. There can't possibly be anything s bad with the laptop that it would cause a brand new drive to die that quickly. The good news is that your new drive is under warranty and the next one is free.

Good luck!

No Events found!