Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2007 12:00

Hard drive help

I have a  Del XPS m140..  a virus deleted my hard drive.
 i bought a new hard drive. when i turn on the computer all  i get i Dell BIOs loading. AFTER THAT. It says "No boot sector on internal hard drive.
"No bootable devices__ strike F1 to retry to boot, F2 for set up utility".
 Tha's all I get. what can i do?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

October 22nd, 2007 12:00

You need to install Windows. Boot your XP CD (F12 with the disc in the drive), install Windows, and then install the chipset driver, notebook system software, and all other drivers (audio, video, modem, touchpad, etc.). Go online and do all Windows critical updates.

October 22nd, 2007 16:00

THANK YOU. the only cd that came with my notebook is "E176FP LCD monitor"
That's all.  I also have a desktop from Dell  is the one that I'm using to communicated online.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

October 22nd, 2007 20:00

You can request the OS CD here:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1

1 Message

May 19th, 2012 14:00

I have a dell m140 xps.  It say no boot sector on the internal hard drive for my new hard drive and  i do not  have a  option to boot my window xp cd.

6.4K Posts

May 19th, 2012 20:00

You have two possible approaches to try booting from a CD.  First, with the Windows installation disk in the drive, start the computer, press F12 while you still see the Dell logo on the screen to bring up the one time boot menu in the upper right of the screen.  Select to boot from the DVD/CD drive.  Second, start the computer, press F2 during the Dell logo to bring up System Setup, navigate to the boot order menu, and set the DVD/CD drive to the first place in the boot order.  Place the Windows installation disk in the drive, exit System Setup using the option to save changes if available, and allow the computer to start.

After either of the two described approaches you should see a message telling you to strike any key to boot from the CD.  If you don't press a key, the computer will forget about the CD and try to boot from the hard drive.

No Events found!