Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 15th, 2012 07:00

How to boot from SSD drive

Dell Precision M7400, HDD + SSD. I have installed OS (Win7) on SSD. How to change boot sequence to boot from SSD drive?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 15th, 2012 15:00

Hi SLK2000,

The boot sequence can be changed in the BIOS (F2).

1 Rookie

• 

445 Posts

October 18th, 2012 16:00

Hi Osprey4. you have helped me a couple times before so I'm sure you will give me the answer again. I just got a Alienware Aurora R4 and want to install a 128 GIG SSD drive for a boot drive. The computer has a 1T drive now for storage. The hardware part is no probblem because the computer has 3 empty bays all wired with power and sata cables. Beings there is already Windows 7 home premium on the exsisting hard drive, do  I need to buy another copy of Windows 7 to install on the new SSD and if so how will they effect each other?

Thanks

Wayne

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 19th, 2012 11:00

Hi Wayne,

No, your copy of Windows can be used on any drive you install on that machine.

So I assume you're going to use the SSD as your system drive. What you need to do is create a recovery disc using the existing drive and operating system, then restore the image onto the new drive. I'm not exactly sure how to do that on an Alienware. Once you've got the OS loaded on the SSD, then you can delete the Windows file on your 1TB drive.

1 Rookie

• 

445 Posts

October 19th, 2012 12:00

That is correct, I will use the SSD for my system drive. I already have the recovery disks made so that is out of the way. I will be buying the Crucial M4 128 gig as it has great customer ratings at Newegg. Will be gone for a week, but will let you know how it went when I get back. Once again, thanks for your help it is much appreciated. Wayne

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

October 19th, 2012 17:00

Glad to help.

No Events found!