Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2010 15:00

I lost my D and E drives sometime this past summer.

This started after I copied several DVD-RWs on my DVD writer (external).  Later I went to save a file on a CD-RW, but when I went to send the file to the drive it wasn't there.  I have tried several things to find and/or reinstall them, but  I'm not a computer expert, and so far nothing has helped.  I can read from both these drives, but not copy to anything in these drives. I have a Dell 4600, with windows XP.  Lorraine86

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 3rd, 2010 04:00

Hi, Lorraine86:

You said you "lost" the D and E drives. Can you tell me what these are? Are they both internal, or is one internal and the other external? When you say "lost", do you mean they are missing from MY Computer?

Also, please tell me what program you are using to write files to DVD or CD discs. In case you aren't aware, the XP CD burning wizard can only write to one of your drives.

3 Posts

January 3rd, 2010 06:00

They are both internal and came with the computer.  Missing from "my computer" is more appropriate.  If I go into "my computer" they are both listed as well as the c drive, etc., but as I stated when I want to "send" a file to the d drive (CD) it isn't "there".  If I go into properties on these drives it also states they are full, whether that means anything, and that is when there are no discs in the drive.  This is driving me crazy.  i did see where you responded to another person who seemed to have the same problem, and I took the pc apart and looked to see if the IDE was connected to the drives since I did add additional memory, but everything seemed to be in order. 

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by which program I'm using to write the files to the CD drive.  The file I'm trying to send to the drive is from my C drive in a folder called backups. 

Thank you for any help.  Lorraine 86

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 4th, 2010 10:00

Lorraine:

Good idea checking the IDE cable. At least we know that's not the problem.

It sounds like you are using the XP CD burning wizard. You select a file, Send to..., pick your CD burner, etc. Is that right? But under Send to... your CD burner is not there. This can be fixed as follows. Open My Computer, right click your CD burner, and select Properties. Find the recording tab and check the box to indicate you would like to enable CD recording, OK. You can only enable one drive at a time. So when you attached the external DVD burner, t may have disabled this setting.

3 Posts

January 4th, 2010 15:00

Thanks for getting back.  I went into the D drive, which is my CD drive, opened properties, but there is no recording tab.  There's an auto play tab.  On the location of the drive it said "0", as well as the DVD drive.  Both were already enabled.  Now what?  Lorraine 86

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 5th, 2010 04:00

Lorraine:

If there is no recording tab, that means the operating system does not recognize your drive as a recordable drive. Take a look at this article.

It may help to delete the upper and lower filters. That procedure is described in an article in the CD/DVD FAQ (link below) under "code 39 error".

No Events found!