Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 29th, 2013 13:00

I would like to use 32GB mSATA SSD in 14z 5423 as normal data disk

I have a new Inspiration 14z 5423 and it comes with 500GB HDD and a 32GB mSATA SSD for acceleration. I plan to replace the HDD with a SSD so I don't need the acceleration any more.

But I don't know how to disable the acceleration and use the 32GB SSD as normal data storage.

Any help in appreciated.

5 Posts

May 31st, 2013 19:00

I was successfully disabled iSRT. But in a slight different procedure as what was described above. At the time I received 14z, iSRT GUI was not installed. So I went to Dell.com and downloaded iSRT driver and installed it. The main drive has already been associated with the mSATA drive for acceleration.

If I follow above procedure to disable iSRT in BIOS, I will not be able to disassociate the main drive from the mSATA drive. So here is the procedure I followed.

- Leave the BIOS setting for SATA Operation as is for iSRT.

- Disable 'Intel Rapid Start Technology' in BIOS because this uses 8GB mSATA drive

(Note that I am really confused of iSRT and iRST, I think that Intel really should change it)

- Start Windows

- Start iRST GUI

- Click 'Accelerate' tab and the click 'Disable Acceleration'

- Choose the mSATA drive icon and then click 'Reset to Available'

- Restart the Windows and now the 32GB mSATA is available as normal storage

1.5K Posts

May 29th, 2013 23:00

Hi dcdyd,

Welcome to the community.

Please check the steps below to disable ISRT and then you can use additional SSD as well:

Restart the computer and tap on Dell logo .Disable ISRT in the BIOS setup menu by selecting SATA mode and changing it to AHCI then saving the change and rebooting windows.

Restart Windows again and Launch Intel RST UI from system TrayStep

Click Accelerate Icon on top of page then click "Disassociate”

Click on select Device under Accelerated device none.

Acceleration would be disabled and then you can install new SSD and install windows if required.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

5 Posts

May 30th, 2013 08:00

Thanks, I will try this process this weekend.

1.5K Posts

June 2nd, 2013 02:00

Hi dcdyd,

Its great to hear that issue with the system has been resolved to your satisfaction. Thanks for sharing this information as I am sure other users would also benefit from it.

Please mark your post as verified answer so that other users can also benefit from the same. If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

Thanks and Regards
Sandeep P
#iworkfordell

No Events found!