Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

June 21st, 2017 14:00

Installation of addition HDD/SSD not recognised

c2016 There is a long thread in Disc Drives about adding/removing additional SSD/HDD a couple of examples

I'm trying to replace the hard drive on my XPS 8900 desktop with a SanDisk SSD.  When I boot the system I get an error screen that says "Hard Drive - Drive error detected. Alert! Hard Drive or Optical Drive not found"  However, when I hit "continue" on that screen, the system boots fine and works like a charm. 

I saw a SanDisk SSD firmware update on downloads.dell.com... I downloaded it, but the zip file appears to be password protected, and there is not a password in the instructions on the Dell site.

This is very frustrating

Windows 10 in case it matters.”

• “I have the same problem - I had installed an extra hard drive initially to copy some files over after I did a clean install of Windows ten on the 2TB drive that came with my XPS 8900. I then decided to install a Samsung 250gb 850 EVO m.2. Cloned the 2tb drive over to the SSD and booted from the ssd - everything was fine. I then decided to remove one of the hard drives and that's when I started to get the same error about a failing hard drive or cd driveI. Hit continue and the machine proceeds to complete the boot process and loads the OS.

If I Put the drive back in and everything is fine. I even went so far as to remove the ssd and other hard drive and then do another clean install of windows 10 on the 2 tb drive (Removed all of the partitions and let windows do its thing) and I still get the same error even though it was the only drive in the system. Seems like you can add drives fine you just can't remove them.. Put the ssd and other hard drive back into the computer and error goes away. I think the bios is corrupted somehow. The dell Support system built into the bios isn't working properly. Somebody needs to fix this.

If anybody figures this out please post the solution

FYI Switching from Raid to AHCI in the bios doesn't help - I still get the same error.“

Installation of addition HDD/SSD not recognised

There are a significant number of post similar to problems identified above are just to post on the disc issues

Has the scenario described in the to posts fixed?

Is there a consensus about the 8900 series machines

Thank for your time and help

Kind regards

Orac99of posts

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

June 22nd, 2017 13:00

Thank you for your message.

What is the bios version installed on your computer?

Try to check if the drive is getting detected on bios when you have this error message.

Run a hardware diagnostic by following this link http://bit.ly/2fJuGXB

Click on my Dell username & private message the service tag along with the registered name & email address.

3 Posts

June 24th, 2017 12:00

Sreejith,

Given the significant nature of the Issue I have not purchased the machine yet. If the problem has been fixed via BIOS update then I am prepared to spec and order.

Thanks

No Events found!