Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

September 6th, 2008 21:00

Is my hard drive failing

I've got XP Pro on my inspiron 8600 (SP 2 but same problem after I got SP3)

I upgraded the harddrive with a 160GB Western Digital Scorpio Drive in November 2007.

Problem:  after shutting down, computer will not reboot.  After the Dell splash screen, I get a black screen with a blinking cursor and I can not type.

Quick diagnostics give me the error:

DST Short Test Fail

Error Code: 1000-0146

Msg: Unit 0: DST Log contains previous error(s)

So I google and info tells me the hard disk is probably dying.

I run the longer Dell Diagnostic Tests on the hard drive and all tests pass! (listed below).

IDE Disk:

Device Self Test

Seek test

S.M.A.R.T. Test

Verify Test

Confidence Test

I can not boot into safe mode (I'm trying to use F8 to do so.)

I CAN restore everything with my back up (which I've done 2 or 3 times in the past week) but as soon as I shut down, I can't reboot and I have to restore all over again.

Do I need a new hard drive?

Thanks!

Help ASAP while I have access to this other computer!

70 Posts

No, the old drive never failed, and this one has been fine from November until now.  I chose the maximum size suggested as compatible for the new drive.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

The drive is probably OK.  If the old drive had failed, the error may still be there from it.

The bigger problem is that you installed a 160G drive into a system that won't take a drive that large - that may be the cause of the problem.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

September 6th, 2008 22:00

The BIOS likely reports the drive as 137G.  Running a BIOS-level utility on the drive is dangerous as a result.

You might want to try running Data Lifeguard (www.wdc.com) just to be sure, however.

70 Posts

September 8th, 2008 00:00

Okay I started this thread out of town, and now I'm home, so I can do a bit more (from an internet cafe...)

I got home and went to restore my drive for the 3rd or 4h time, but this time I couldn't reboot after.  Same black screen after the Dell splash screen with useless blinking cursor.  In one of my previous restorations (Norton GHost 9.0) I did get an error (Error EA3905FE cluster not allocated) but was able to restore with the base image made earlier that day.  I think this is unrelated and was a problem with that particular incremental back up - I had problems ejecting the drive after making it.

I can boot using the Windows CD and ran chkdsk C: /p /r with the following result:

chkdsk found and fixed one or more errors on the volume.

But still same problem upon reboot (ie - I can't!)

MBRFIX - same deal.

I tried the Western Digital utility and I could not even boot from the CD according to their instructions.  (I used their file: Diag504cCD.iso for my model WD1600BEVE-00UYT0 drive according to the website.

I ran the little (outdated no doubt) disk doctor utility that is included with my Norton Ghost 9.0 which seemed like a simple (quick!) test.

Results:

Partition Table - check

File Structures - check

Indexes - check

Security Descriptors - check

File Data - skipped

Free Space - skipped

Don't know why it skipped the last two tests and the tab to select which tests to run/skip is not available in XP. 

Now I'm trying to restore the drive again hoping that the chkdsk will allow me to restore.  If I can do that, I'll try the Western Digital via a different route.

If that doesn't work, I'll try restoring with an earlier back up image.  If THAT doesn't work, maybe I should reinstall windows with my old CD and see what happens with that.  (XP SP1!)

Final thing - I looked up my original error code (before the one in my original post that said error code 1000-0146 "Log Contains Previous Error(s)"  and found that the first error code after the first occurance of the problem was this:

DST Short Test Fail

Error code 1000-0142

Unit 4: Drive Selt Test failed Status byte = 79

There HAVE been a number of XP updates that have come down the pipeline over this week.  Something for office, SP 3 and some java update.  Maybe there's an issue here?  I'm sure, however, the initial occurance was before the SP 3 update, though.

I did install the WinOff program and was initially suspicious of it, but I've since deleted it and am still having the problem.  http://www.ampsoft.net/utilities/WinOFF.php

I use (and keep updated) the McAfee virus software.  (Anti virus, I should say.) 

Any more thoughts?

Thanks! 

70 Posts

September 11th, 2008 01:00

Okay, I'm starting to suspect it was this WinOff program.  I restored using a back up prior to installing that and it, so far, is fine.

Next question:

Is there a way to clear the log on the diagnostics? I'm referring to
this error message I had been getting on repeat testing:

DST Short Test Fail
Error Code: 1000-0146
Msg: Unit 0: DST Log contains previous error(s)

No Events found!