Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Z

March 6th, 2010 09:00

My DVD drive destroys DVD/CDs

Hello!

My DVD drive destroys DVD/CDs... When I put DVD/CD (which works in other computers) into drive it read DVD/CD and everything is ok. But when I eject it, DVD/CD becomes unreadable.

I have Dell Studio 1555 and I installed windows 7 x64. Drivers come from microsoft, because I can't find them at Dell Support page...

My DVD model is: GA31N (IDE\CdRomHL-DT-ST_DVD+-RW_GA31N__________________A102____ ).

In addition eject button doesn't work. It works but only under bios or when notebook is starting.

What should I do? What is the problem?

If it is drivers problem, where I can find them?

Help me, please.

Greetings!

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

March 6th, 2010 10:00

The only way to destroy a store bought DVD or CD to physically damage it. Reading it in a drive will not do that.

6 Posts

March 6th, 2010 10:00

Thanks for the answer!

It is really strange... Now about 5+ CD/DVD (1x with ubuntu, 1x with movies, 1x from newspaperDVD and CD....) are unreadable/empty... Can You explain this?

But ok, I will make test, I burn something on the new CD, then I put this CD into drive and see what happend.

Other thing:

Why eject button doesn't work? Other buttons work fine.

6 Posts

March 6th, 2010 12:00

I made test.

Steps:

1. I burned movie on CD-RW.

2. Everything was ok, CD was working.

3. CD was working on the other computer.

4. Now CD is no longer working on Studio.... (it seems like drive doesn't see CD)

Result:

Desktop PC can still read movie from this CD, notebook not...

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 6th, 2010 17:00

Hi, Ziem,

You've got me totally confused. You said you had a Dell Studio. Well, there are Studio desktops and Studio laptops, and there are different models of each. Then in your last post you said the CD was working, but then was not working in your Studio, but then you said it was working in your desktop but not in your laptop.

So please explain the problem more clearly!!!

I understand this is an English forum and English does not appear to be your native language.

6 Posts

March 7th, 2010 01:00

Hello.

I know that my English isn't very good.

I will try explain it better.

I have notebook Dell Studio 1555 (Windows 7 x64, DVD: GA31N) which destroys/doesn't read CD/DVDs.

My desktop pc (where I test CD/DVDs) isn't from Dell.

Problems:

1. DVD drive in my notebook destroys and doesn't read some CD/DVD.

2. Eject button doesn't work or I don't know how to use it.... Other buttons work fine, except Battery button, but I think I don't have some app.

CD/DVDs were OK before I put them into notebook's drive.

Why destroys? When I put the first time CD/DVD into DVD drive they are readable and everything is ok. But when I put them second/third/... they become unreadable, drive is reading some time and nothing happend, CD/DVD is empty. CD/DVD ISN'T working on other computer too.

Why doesn't read? When I put the first time CD/DVD into DVD drive they are readable and everything is ok. But when I put them second/third/... drive can't read this CD/DVD. CD/DVD is empty. BUT CD/DVD IS working on other computer.....

Eject button doesn't work under Windows. In Bios or when computer is starting it works........

If something is again unclear - let me know.

All drivers are form Microsoft, Windows 7 found all.

Greetings!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 7th, 2010 03:00

Due to the various problems with the drive, the best approach is to replace it. Since your Studio laptop is fairly new, I would guess it's still under warranty, correct? Then you should contact Dell about replacing the drive.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

It should open by pressing the button. The fact that it doesn't may also indicate a problem.

6 Posts

Thanks for help ;).

Yes, it has about 10 days....

I only want to be 100% sure, that I need to contact Dell Support...

Can someone tell me how should I use eject button? Just pressing or holding or.. ?

6 Posts

March 7th, 2010 06:00

Quick question:

Do I need special application to make button (Battery and Eject) working?

No Events found!