Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

February 26th, 2005 20:00

My Ipod won't recognize CDs and Apple says I need a new driver for my Dell 2650.

Can you tell me where I can find the software?
thanks!

2.8K Posts

@bentley37 wrote:
Can you tell me where I can find the software?
thanks!

If Apple says you need a new driver then Apple should be supplying it.

It's USB right?

You should beable to get the latest drivers off the Apple website.

1 Message

Check this out: I bought some Bose speakers and it came with 25 free iTunes. I had to download the iTunes software from Apple. I got an iPod Shuffle player. I hate the thing. I should have bought a different MP3 player. Here's the catch. iTunes did something to my computer. After I removed the iTunes software (using add/remove programs in Control Panel) my computer won't recognize my CD players. When I go to System>hardware the CD players are listed with the ! in front of the devices. When I troubleshoot using Dell's software I get nothing. I did a CD diagnostic that is included with iTunes. This is what it printed:

Some Dell computers need an update to the ATA bus driver before iTunes recognizes CDs. If you have a Dell computer, check the Dell support website for details.

But there is no update that I can find.

I hate iTunes and I hate Apple and I hate what they did to my computer.

2 Posts

thanks but they say I need dell to provide it.  It's wierd but some CDs it read perefectly and others it reads as blank. 

2.8K Posts

@bentley37 wrote:
thanks but they say I need dell to provide it.  It's wierd but some CDs it read perefectly and others it reads as blank. 

They always do....typical of Apple to say that.

Yeah that would be an incompatability issue with the Ipod, Dell doesn't make drivers for IPods, Apple does.

2.8K Posts

February 26th, 2005 21:00

Well you can goto your support site for your system and get the latest  ATA drivers and install them and see if that helps or the latest Firmware update for your Optical drive.

1 Message

May 4th, 2005 02:00

Have you ever figured out how to resolve this? I'm having the same problem. I also cannot seem to find any new ata bus drivers to download.

1 Message

May 10th, 2005 19:00

I had the same problem and couldn't find a resolution (I have a Dell)--however--I finally got all my cds on the iPod.  First, I deleted the cds that were on iTunes but wouldn't move over to the iPod.  Then I put them in again.  (In addition, I actually unplugged everything on my computer for a while.)  After I came back up again, I kept unattaching the iPod and closing iTunes, then reattaching and reopening iTunes, etc.... everytime I did this more songs got transferred to the iPod without the error message.  I kept doing it until all my songs went to the iPod.  It was tedious, but obviously it can be done without this 'special ATA bus driver'. 

1 Message

May 27th, 2005 04:00

I'm having the same exact problem with my Inspiron 8200 - Dell online support was of no use and I've scoured this site for the elusive ATA bus drivers Apple insists I need. Has anyone had any luck resolving this issue?

1 Message

June 8th, 2005 03:00

I was having the same problem... but I figured out a way to get around using the iTunes burning software. Here's a copy of the feedback I sent to Apple, with the steps I took to get songs on my iPod mini. Hopefully it helps...

"When I first installed my ipod itunes software after buying my ipod on June 7th 2005, the itunes burning software would not install. I tried everything from calling apple tech help - they were closed - to calling Dell - I was on hold for 20 minutes before hanging up. I tried every help feature related to ipod, itunes, and "ata bus drivers" I could find and nothing worked. Then I remembered that my windows media player was able to copy songs and this ended up working for me. I'm going to list the steps I went through to help you guys at apple help other Dell users who are having problems with itunes burning software. I would appreciate a response to this since I am helping you improve your ability to help with a problem that is being discussed on Dell message boards. I will also be posting this on those boards just in case you don't take this message seriously.

open windows media player. go to "Tools;Options" and then go to the "Copy Music" tab. Unclick the "Protect Music" option. IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS STEP IT WON'T WORK!! Click "Apply" and then "OK"

Go to the "Copy Music" area. Insert cd. Choose songs you want to copy (Check or uncheck the boxes to by the title of the song) and click "Copy Music". This works best if you already know which folder the songs will be copied to. If not, find out.

Open iTunes if it is not already open. Click "File;Add file to library" and go to your media player's music files and open your copied songs. Press and hold Ctrl to open more than one song.

Once finished, plug in your iPod and wait for music to load."

2 Posts

June 23rd, 2005 02:00

Well, due to the lack of response and resolution from both Apple and Dell, I figured a way to make mine work -- I'm not certain if this will work for you, but it's worth a try.

My iTunes worked fine and I was able to burn CDs up until I clicked on the "update" version of iTunes (4.8).  As soon as I downloaded it, installed it, I attempted to burn a CD when I got the same error that you've mentioned.  At first, like everyone else, I've tried it a bunch of times, click many options but to no avail.  What I resorted to doing is to give up.  However, in the spirit of updating, I hooked my iPod again, installed the latest software update for iPod, installed it, and then I turned my computer off.  Afterwards, I restarted my computer, and reinstalled Version 4.8 of iTunes, and then tried to burn another CD and behold!! it worked. 

In summary:

I installed the latest iTunes, installed the latest iPod software, restarted my computer, and reinstalled the iTunes 4.8 software.  Then I burned my CD.  It still gave me an error after burning my CD, but I ignored it.  I did email Apple concerning this issue but I haven't heard back yet.

--just as I haven't heard back from Dell re: the same issue.

I hope this works for you guys too, but it's working for me.

Message Edited by Sekshee on 06-22-2005 10:12 PM

2 Posts

June 23rd, 2005 02:00

Well, due the lack of response and resolution from both Apple and Dell, I figured a way to make mine work -- I'm not certain if this will work for you, but it's worth a try.

My iTunes worked fine and I was able to burn CDs up until I clicked on the "update" version of iTunes (4.8).  As soon as I downloaded it, installed it, I attempted to burn a CD when I got the same error that you've mentioned.  At first, like everyone else, I've tried it a bunch of times, click many options but to no avail.  What I resorted to doing is to give up.  However, in the spirit of updating, I hooked my iPod again, installed the latest software update for iPod, installed it, and then I turned my computer off.  Afterwards, I restarted my computer, and reinstalled Version 4.8 of iTunes, and then tried to burn another CD and behold!! it worked. 

In summary:

I installed the latest iTunes, installed the latest iPod software, restarted my computer, and reinstalled the iTunes 4.8 software.  Then I burned my CD.  It still gave me an error after burning my CD, but I ignored it.  I did email Apple concerning this issue but I haven't heard back yet.

--just as I haven't heard back from Dell re: the same issue.

I hope this works for you guys too, but it's working for me.

Message Edited by Sekshee on 06-22-2005 10:11 PM

1 Message

June 26th, 2005 18:00

I experienced the same problem trying to load Nickelback's The Long Road CD. I tried what everyone else has tried to no avail. What worked for me was to copy the CD to my hard drive using Musicmatch Jukebox which sees it fine. Musicmatch put it into my iTunes folder under My Music. Once ripped to that folder, I went into iTunes, selected File-->Add file to Library, then selected all the Nickelback songs from that folder, and it worked! No ATA driver update required, which is good since i couldn't find it.
No Events found!