Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 20th, 2004 02:00

NEC 1100a and SP2

Did anybody have trouble with the NEC 1100a after installing SP2?

2 Posts

October 20th, 2004 12:00

Hi,

I have installed the SP2 update from the CD MS sent me and I had no problems with my 1100A DVD drive.  The only problem I have now is that I'm running out of 4x dvds and it wont recognize 8x media.  So, I have to do a Firmware update and DELL only has the old one from 4/25/03 file R59801.EXE which updates from 108B to 10GE.  This doesn't help. 

Here is a link for a firmware update for your 1100A. It is complete with
instructions and the whole 9 yards. It says it give the capability to use
various 4X and 8X disks. Hope it helps. When I ran my upgrade it worked
great. It will not make your burner an 8X burner just allow you to use 8X
media.  Note: at the end of the 6 pages of detailed instructions it says not to do it if the drive is from an OEM (like Dell and others) yet it is under NECs OEM downloads.  As always use at your own risk.  I may call Dell in a little while to see what they say.  I have a Dell 8250 P4-3.06Ghz which will be 2 yrs. old next month.  Good Luck.  dfazakas@netscape.net.  Dave.
http://support.necsam.com/oem/downloads/flashfirmware/readme.asp?id=1

9 Posts

October 22nd, 2004 01:00

I sent tech support an e-mail for the same reasons. I just bought two 50-packs of Memorex 8x media and it only want to burn at 2.4x NEC has updated the 1100As just recently but Dell has failed to incoroporate the update for our drives so here we are. I've been very happy with my Dell up until recently. If they can't keep on top of firmware upgrades then they need to leave the drives alone so we can at least use the standard firmware. Also I'm running Windows XP SP1A.

Message Edited by kevin108 on 10-21-2004 10:41 PM

2 Posts

October 22nd, 2004 02:00

Hi Kevin,

I don't blame you for being disgusted with Dell's lack of updating slightly older hardware. As for the Firmware Update from the NEC site, it didn't work. It just gave me the message "Target drive is not found". They say this happens when you don't have the correct previous Firmware update installed. Oh well, guess I'll purchase some 4x disks from Ritek.

The Link to their site (Ritek / RiData). Supports my NEC ND-1100A DVD drive.

http://www.meritline.com/ritek-ridata-4x-dvd-r-plus-blank-media.html

Dave

9 Posts

October 22nd, 2004 02:00

That's one solution. My solution is going to be buying one of the new 16x drives from Newgg.com and never buying a Dell again.

Also apparently Dell is just as good at maintaining it's website. I just got this:

To: (my e-mail adddress)
Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

The following message to us-sr-primary@exchange.dell.com was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.1.1 - Bad destination email address 'ldap reject'
Final-Recipient: rfc822;us-sr-primary@exchange.dell.com
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 5.1.1 - Bad destination email address 'ldap reject' (delivery attempts: 0)

Message Edited by kevin108 on 10-21-2004 11:40 PM

Message Edited by kevin108 on 10-21-2004 11:41 PM

15.3K Posts

October 22nd, 2004 09:00

Kevin & Dave,

The Danagerous Brothers over at the Firmware Forum (I am not suppose to provide a link) developed a firmware update for the NEC 1100a that converts it to a NEC 1300a, of course this voids the Dell warranty and you use at your own risk, however acording to a number of people it works. Best I can do.

Take care

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

9 Posts

October 22nd, 2004 10:00

I've seen it and I have the software but I don't have a floppy drive so I don't have a way to flash the drive as per their instructions.

15.3K Posts

October 22nd, 2004 12:00

Kevin,

Please do not take my remark as though I am being rude or simply a jerk, but you can pick up a floppy drive for $10 - $14 and the motherboard of the 4600 has the 34-pin connection, I would not let this keep me from trying it, if I really was interested.

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

No Events found!