Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 23rd, 2005 04:00

NEC DVD+-RW ND-3530A "Power Calibration Error" on Double Layer media

I have a stock XPS Gen. 4 w/ a NEC DVD+-RW ND-3530A and Samsung CD-R/RW SW-252S. Dell in all their wisdom put the Samsung as master drive and sent me a dvd OS disc. So to reinstall windows I had to switch the drives so the NEC is now the master drive. Anyway, all media burns fine except Double Layer DVDs. All burning programs put out "power calibration error" when switching to the second layer of the disc. Single layer media burns fine. I have yet to return the drives to their factory positions, but it doesn't seem like it would make much difference. All jumpers are in cable select. Plus all my OS media is on DVD which would have to be switched back anyway. Any suggestions?

P.S. - The XPS Gen. 4 BIOS only allows the master drive to boot from media. The slave drive won't boot media.

#2 P.S. - I'm using TDK DVD+R DL media, so I doubt the media is the issue. The firmware is version 103C as on the support site.

Message Edited by virtualmadden on 09-23-2005 12:50 AM

15.3K Posts

September 23rd, 2005 13:00

Hi Virtualmadden,

My first thought would have been the firmware update which seems to have helped some but so far not for you. Next would be to double check that the drive is running in DMA mode and not PIO mode. Then I checked the media speed which is 4-8X for DL and I assume this is correct?!?

Your next step would be to contact Dell, explain all this again or reference your post here and if under warranty, it is possible Dell will replace the drive.

Best Regards

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.

CD/RW Link

Message Edited by Predator on 09-23-2005 10:47 AM

September 23rd, 2005 17:00

They are both in DMA mode and it's 2.4x for DVD DL media. Anyway, it's been $12 worth of discs spent with a drive error, this needs to be fixed.

15.3K Posts

September 24th, 2005 11:00

Virtualmadden,

Interesting, 2.4X, wonder why the User Guide here from Dell:

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/storage/P90574/en/intro.htm

Has it as the following:

DVD+R--------------------Write

Single Layer------------6.6-16X :CAV

Double Layer-------------4-8X :ZCLV

God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do and the eyesight to tell the
difference.