Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 1st, 2007 15:00

New HD

Can I put vista on a new HD before I put it in my E1505? I have an 80g  with XP and want to put a 120g with Vista in instead. How would I do this if I can? Seems like it would be easiest to put Vista on a clean HD first then clone my info from the old HD.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

March 1st, 2007 16:00

You can install the new drive, load Vista and mount the old drive in an external case and copy your data by USB - you will have to reinstall your application software, though.

286 Posts

March 1st, 2007 19:00

All in the correct order right? Thanks. 

Message Edited by starzfan45 on 03-01-2007 07:47 PM

623 Posts

March 6th, 2007 15:00

Excuse my ignorance, but how do you copy the files form the old hard drive in the enclosure to the new hard drive in the laptop?

623 Posts

March 8th, 2007 00:00

I have done Norton ghost many times. The problem with ghosting a hard drive is that you can only ghost it to a new hard drive going in the same model computer. My new one is a totally different model, so a ghost won't work. I am looking for the next best thing. What about adding all the application software to my new laptop, then doing a files and settings transfer wizard from the old unit to the new unit. I have done a settings transfer before, but never a files and settings transfer. Anyone??

286 Posts

March 8th, 2007 00:00

Never done it before. I bought a USB data transfer kit to help with that. But I know ther are all kinds of software that will do it. Acronis , Norton Ghost are a couple I've seen. But I guess I'll find out in a couple of days.
No Events found!