Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 27th, 2006 07:00

New method: How to install Dell MediaDirect with Multiple partitions

Hi everyone,

I posted instructions on how to install Dell MediaDirect while successully create multiple partitions on Dell laptops with MediaDirect feature.  As some of you shared your thoughts and  knowledge about my instructions, and I admit that they're somehow lengthy and complicated.  Well, at least that's all I could come up with after many nights expermenting with my new Dell Inspiron 630m.  Today I bring good news to all of you, and that's a much better way to create multiple partitions and install MediaDirect.  As soon as I figured out of this method, I immediately share it with everyone.  Here it goes:
    • As with Dell instructions, you can only create a maximum of 3 partitions in addition to the unpartitioned one used for MediaDirect, and they're absolutely right about this.  However, instead of reserving an unpartitioned space of 1308 MB for MediaDirect, you DO NOT have to do as they advise you to.  This very point causes all the trouble for all of us who want to create multiple partitions using Windows built-in partition tools.  By unlocking the mystery of 1308 MB unpartitioned space, I have solved the problem.  Since I wanna make it easy for everyone to understand, my instructions seem a little long.  Following is step-by-step instructions:
    1. As always, you have to boot your laptop with Windows XP CD by pressing F12, select boot from CD
    2. Follow instructions on screen to get to install a fresh copy of Windows by pressing ESC, then F8
    3. Delete all partitions already there
    4. Create the new first partition (C drive).  Every individual has their own needs, some wants it large, some wants it average...etc.  so create however large as you want to.  I myself created a 20 gig C drive.
    5. Leave the remaining unpartitioned space untouched
    6. Press Enter , select Quick Format with NTFS file system
    7. When Windows installation completes, remove Windows XP CD
    8. Put in Reinstalling Dell MediaDirect CD, press Enter to begin installation, when installation finishes, press Enter to end, remove CD
    9. Go back to desktop, right click My Computer, click Manage, click Disk Management
    10. Now you will notice that there's an unused or unpartitioned space right in between C drive and the unlettered partition where MediaDirect was just installed on. 
    11. Now you can create 2 more partitions or 2 more drives with that space by right clicking on that space, click New Partition, select Primary Partition, click Format, then select however much space you want for this second drive for your laptop, select Quick Format, give this drive a name if you want to. 
    12. When the second partition/drive is created, you can continue to create the third or last possible partition/drive with the remaining space for your computer by doing the exact same steps as number 11 above.
    13. REMEMBER: DO NOT EVER MESS WITH THE LAST UNLETTERED PARTITION OF YOUR COMPUTER BECAUSE IT IS WHERE DELL MEDIADIRECT IS INSTALLED.   LEAVE IT ALONE!
    14. Voila, after step 12, you have successfully done things that you dream of doing all along (3 partitions/drives and MediaDirect).  However, it's not done yet.  As for my system Inpiron 630m, there's a software update for MediaDirect to be downloaded and installed.  For other system with MediaDirect feature, I think you should do it, too, because in my opinion Dell MediaDirect feature is the same for all system.  So I suggest you all do it by following step 15 below.
    15. Open My Computer, double click C drive, double click Dell folder, create a new folder and name it MediaDirect.  Go to this link to download and save a file called Dell MediaDirect DayLight Saving Patch to the folder just created : http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&releaseid=R113403&SystemID=XPS_M140&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=11910&devlib=0&typecnt=1&vercnt=1&formatcnt=1&fileid=148815
    16. Next thing is installation of all device drivers and softwares, don't forget to install updates from Microsoft by clicking on Windows Updates.  When done, you can start updating MediaDirect and using it.  Go to step 16 below
    17. Shut Down your laptop, press MediaDirect button, wait for MediaDirect to configure itself
    18. Click General, click Update MediaDirect, now MediaDirect will automatically update itself with the file download in step 15.  Once the update is done, your laptop will shut itself down.  Press MediaDirect button again and setup all the functions in there to your likings. 
    19. Enjoy yourself.

I hope all of you will enjoy this as much as I do.  Let me know if you guys have any question.  Good luck

Numcomer

10 Posts

March 14th, 2006 01:00

I have 2g partition for media direct; do I need to move the music files to the media direct partitions? when i Scan the music files not all the music files are scan into my media direct.
Regards

10 Posts

March 14th, 2006 02:00

in that case, I only have c drive. how can I import my music to my Media direct.
Thanks for your help :-}

39 Posts

March 14th, 2006 02:00

MediaDirect partition should never be touched!  It is only for MediaDirect software installation.  Besides, MediaDirect partition is unlettered so you can never moved any file to it.  What I need to know from you is how many drives/partitions your computer has (like C, D, E or and so on).  For example: my computer has 3 drives: C, D, E.  The main drive is C.  It is where Windows XP is stalled.  D and E drives are for storage.  MediaDirect partition is unlettered and won't be shown. 
Some people don't wanna have multiple drives.  They only want to have C drive and an unlettered partition for MediaDirect.

39 Posts

March 14th, 2006 03:00

Like I already said, MediaDirect is just a software that lets you enjoy some of its function such as Music/Video/Picture/DVD.  You cannot import or export anything with it.  By default, MediaDirect will detect all mulitmedia files by locating them in My Documents folder.  In that folder, there'll be My Music, My Pictures, My Video and many other folders.  If you put all your music files into My Music folder, picture files in My Pictures folder, video files in My Video folder... then when accessing MediaDirect, you'll be able to see them.  For music files, you have to update music database by going to Music function then Settings, in there you select Update database.  After updating music database, you'll be able to listen to all your music files.

120 Posts

March 15th, 2006 02:00

Hey nucomer,

I have not been able to use MediaDirect on my i630m to access the 5-in-1 media card reader.  When I place my SD card in the slot, MediaDirect does not see it and when I pull out the card, my Documents with pictures disappears from MediaDirect and I can't access it again unless I shut down MediaDirect and restart it.

Is there anyway to get MediaDirect to see the card reader?

BTW, I have not been able to run the repair utility, I tried many times and it just boots to windows, even if I press F12 and have the laptop boot from the CD drive.

39 Posts

March 15th, 2006 04:00

I don't know if we all are able to access memory card from MediaDirect or not.  After reading your message, I gave my laptop a try and got no luck.  MediaDirect won't see memory card.  The only thing it can see is all drives on my laptop (C,D, E, CD ROM). 

To run repair utility for MediaDirect, you have to use Drivers CD.  Boot your laptop from CD using Drivers CD after pressing F12.  However, you have to be careful with this.  If you don't have an unlettered partition in front of your C drive, it will damage system's master boot record.  Take my advise: re-install MediaDirect, this will normally fix any problem associated with MediaDirect function.  Repair is the last thing you should do.

March 16th, 2006 21:00

nucomer:

Thanks a lot for your post. When I tried my brand-new M-140 for mediadirect, my movie was frozen and the
mediadirect program was crased for the first time. So I contacted Dell support, they send me a reinstallating disk but I could reinstall,
then they told me to re-format the computer and partitions, I finally had mediadirect back to work, however, my movie
kept frozen and I had to reinstall the mediadirect again and again to make it to continue playing the movie (lots of frustration!!)
I contact Dell support again and I found it to be waste of time with them. Do you, or any other guys, know anything about what is
wrong with my mediadirect and how to solve this problem? Thanks in advance!

xps-m140-worry

10 Posts

March 20th, 2006 18:00

My MediaDirect doesn't seem to work anymore. All i get is the Dell MediaDirect screen and thats it.

Can it be because I moved My Documents to another drive?

My HDD is setup the following way:

C: Primary Partition (Boot)
D: Extended Partition
E: DVD-Burner
-: MediaDirect Partition

If I ever corrupted my OS and had to re-install, and I just deleted C: and recreated that partition again, will it mess up MediaDirect? It not very flexible it seems and less and less worth the hassle to me now.

And I experimented with MediaDirect Partition Repair utility. It did mess up the MBR such that I couldn't delete the partitions from Windows Setup. I had to re-install Windows, goto Disk Management and then remove the partitions. What a waste of time and an eye-opening experience. :-)

39 Posts

March 23rd, 2006 08:00

The reason for DVD playing in MediaDirect to be frozen might be because of its settings.  It happened to me once and I fixed it by changing the settings of DVD in MediaDirect.  All you have to do is run MediaDirect, go to DVD - Setting - Video.  In there you'll have 2 options:

1. Select hardware accelerator
  2. Enable Eagle Vision

Try to change between the two options above to see which one will work.  As for me, some DVD's dont work with hardware accelerator, some work with Eagle Vision.  So, give it a shot and see how it goes for  you.

Good luck

229 Posts

March 31st, 2006 07:00

Please go to my thread In Inspiron-Hard Drive titled: MediaDirect REINSTALLATION PROBLEMS SOLVED (stopping on 10% and other) below, to see the directions and information:

and also to the thread dealing with this issue over at www.notebookforums.com  below:

Message Edited by i8000_coastal on 03-31-2006 04:52 AM

1 Message

April 30th, 2006 15:00

Alrighty...

I read your take on reformating the drive for multiple partitions, but what I want is just one partition (Including the hidden one for Media Direct) So All I really need to do is #1 Format, #2 Partition (Not the whole thing - leaving room for MediaDirect), #3 Install Windows, #4 Install Media Direct (Which occupies the hidden space)... And I think that should be it right?

Would this work?

10 Posts

September 8th, 2006 08:00

Question For Nucomer:

Your media direct sees other partitions, how did you do that? Mine only sees C:\\ , the dvd station ,but cannot see my other 2 partitions where my photo's and music are located.

39 Posts

September 9th, 2006 06:00

Hi,

After successfully creating partitions on my system, my MediaDirect can only see C and D drives, where 2 other hidden partitions are for MediaDirect software installation and Master Boot Record.  Regardless of how you try to create your partitions, there can only be a maximum of 4 partitions if you want to both use MediaDirect and have an additional partition for music or photos.  I am the first one who figured out this issue with MediaDirect.  Below is instructions on how to do it.  If you want to have more than 4 partitions (2 usable + 2 hidden), then you WILL NEVER be able to use MediaDirect, and I guarantee you that.

As with Dell instructions, you can only create a maximum of 3 partitions in addition to the unpartitioned one used for MediaDirect, and they're absolutely right about this.  However, instead of reserving an unpartitioned space of 1308 MB for MediaDirect, you DO NOT have to do as they advise you to.  This very point causes all the trouble for all of us who want to create multiple partitions using Windows built-in partition tools.  By unlocking the mystery of 1308 MB unpartitioned space, I have solved the problem.  Since I wanna make it easy for everyone to understand, my instructions seem a little long.  Following is step-by-step instructions:

1. As always, you have to boot your laptop with Windows XP CD by pressing F12, select boot from CD
  2. Follow instructions on screen to get to install a fresh copy of Windows by pressing ESC, then F8
  3. Delete all partitions already there
  4. Create the new first partition (C drive).  Every individual has their own needs, some wants it large, some wants it average...etc.  So create however large as you want to.  I myself created a 20 gig C drive.
  5. Leave the remaining unpartitioned space untouched
  6. Press Enter , select Quick Format with NTFS file system
  7. When Windows installation completes, remove Windows XP CD
  8. Put in Reinstalling Dell MediaDirect CD, press Enter to begin installation, when installation finishes, press Enter to end, remove CD
  9. Go back to desktop, right click My Computer, click Manage, click Disk Management
  10. Now you will notice that there's an unused or unpartitioned space right in between C drive and the unlettered partition where MediaDirect was just installed on. 
  11. Now you can create an additional partition/drive with that space by right clicking on that space, click New Partition, select Primary Partition or Logical Partition, click Format, then select however much space you want for this second drive for your laptop, select Quick Format, give this drive a name if you want to. 
  12. REMEMBER: DO NOT EVER MESS WITH THE LAST UNLETTERED PARTITION OF YOUR COMPUTER BECAUSE IT IS WHERE DELL MEDIADIRECT IS INSTALLED.   LEAVE IT ALONE!
  13. Voila, after step 12, you have successfully done things that you dream of doing all along (3 partitions/drives and MediaDirect).  However, it's not done yet.  As for my system Inpiron 630m, there's a software update for MediaDirect to be downloaded and installed.  For other system with MediaDirect feature, I think you should do it, too, because in my opinion Dell MediaDirect feature is the same for all system.  So I suggest you all do it by following step 15 below.
  14. Open My Computer, double click C drive, double click Dell folder, create a new folder and name it MediaDirect.  Go to this link to download and save a file called Dell MediaDirect DayLight Saving Patch to the folder just created : http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd&releaseid=R113403&SystemID=XPS_M140&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=11910&devlib=0&typecnt=1&vercnt=1&formatcnt=1&fileid=148815
  15. Next thing is installation of all device drivers and softwares, don't forget to install updates from Microsoft by clicking on Windows Updates.  When done, you can start updating MediaDirect and using it.  Go to step 16 below
  16. Shut Down your laptop, press MediaDirect button, wait for MediaDirect to configure itself
  17. Click General, click Update MediaDirect, now MediaDirect will automatically update itself with the file download in step 15.  Once the update is done, your laptop will shut itself down.  Press MediaDirect button again and setup all the functions in there to your likings. 
  18. Enjoy yourself.

Nucomer

1 Message

January 26th, 2007 10:00

is there any place i can download the reinstallation software? dell wont sentd it to me..i have an Inspiron 9400
No Events found!