Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 16th, 2021 01:00

No bootable device found on newly installed ssd

My laptop has a newly installed ssd because my hdd was corrupted and changed it into ssd, but then after the newly installed ssd, when i turn on my laptop it says that there is no bootable devices found. What should i do?

3 Apprentice

• 

550 Posts

June 16th, 2021 16:00

Your SSD, like most new internal drives, needs to be partitioned and formatted before you can use it. Even when partitioned and formatted, if it's not configured to boot an OS from the drive, you will receive the no bootable devices message.

You will need to use your recovery media that either came with your computer or that you created to restore the OS onto your SSD. The computer will boot off of that media and provide options for restoring the OS onto your SSD. During the recovery process, the SSD will automatically be partitioned, formatted and made bootable.

2 Posts

June 17th, 2021 09:00

Thank you do much!! My laptop is working fine now

1 Message

June 19th, 2022 16:00

Hey i have the same issue “No bootable device found”. From solution above i see, i need to use recovery media. How do i do that, when laptop doesn’t show any options other than shutdown at the bottom right corner. Please help:). Thank you!!

1 Message

July 12th, 2022 20:00

Hi, I have the same problem but, I removed a working SSD from a laptop, placed it in my desktop and got the same “no bootable device found” message. Does the advice apply to me ?

thanks

1 Message

November 10th, 2022 10:00

Same here. 

2 Posts

January 22nd, 2023 14:00

Did you ever find out how to do it? Because I’m having the same issue

3 Apprentice

• 

550 Posts

January 22nd, 2023 16:00

@suffy wrote:

Quoted from PM: Hey, I have the same issue, but I don’t know much about tech, so I don’t understand how to use the recovery media to restore the OS onto my SSD. Could you explain more clearly how I can do that, or could you show a video of how to do that please?

If your Dell computer was made within the last several years, you should be able to download a recovery image from Dell's website here. This will install a program (Dell OS Recovery Tool) that you can use to download and save a recovery image to a USB flash drive and use it to restore Windows. Once the recovery media has been created, insert it in the computer that you want to restore, turn the computer on and tap F12 when the Dell logo appears to bring up the boot menu. Select the USB drive on the list and follow the instructions.

Another method is to use BIOSConnect (if supported). IIRC, if the computer doesn't detect a bootable drive, BIOSConnect should automatically start and guide you through the steps to download the recovery image and reinstall Windows. You may have to enable BIOSConnect in the BIOS, then use the recovery option in the boot menu to access it.

If you're unable to download a recovery image, you can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to reinstall Windows 10. The process to create the Windows 10 Media is essentially the same as described above. This process works as long as your computer was previously activated with Windows 10, or if the computer came pre-installed with Windows 10. The difference between this method and the recovery media is that drivers and programs that were provided by Dell will not be installed, though most of these can be downloaded from Dell's website should you need/want them.

Please remember that performing any of these recovery methods will delete any existing data from your computer. If you have more than one internal storage drive installed, make sure you select the correct drive before initializing the recovery process. If you're not sure, backup any personal data before continuing.

2 Posts

January 23rd, 2023 05:00

When doing the first method, after installing the program onto your hard drive; do you install your new ssd into your laptop before putting in your hard drive into your laptop again? Also, does this work for windows 11 aswell?

No Events found!