Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 4th, 2004 22:00

Noisy Hard Drive (ever since I obtained computer)

My Dell computer at work is fantastic - and very quiet, even when I start or close programs. I've had a Dimension 4700 at home for about a year, and the 120 gig hard drive is very noisy (even as I type this post). It's frequently making loud disk accesses, even when I'm not doing anything, which are very annoying. Why can't my home Dell be as quiet as the one at work? I think I know the answer - my home PC has a bottom of the line hard drive.

I have a 300 gig Maxtor external drive and it's extremely quiet. I bet a Maxtor internal hard drive would be the same.

I've have many .AVI files files get corrupted - contaminated with white static, have lost a key file needed by my Netscape internet program, and now have some key files messed up in my Norton Antivirus program. I want to get a new hard drive, but the Dell bureaucracy doesn't offer much support - they say with a year depreciation, my current drive wouldn't be worth much anyway. Seems like the most efficient thing to do is go down to CompUSA and have them install a new Maxtor drive and reinstall my basic Windows XP and I'll take care of the rest of the programs myself. If I do this, does it void my 3-year warranty (not that the warranty is worth that much anyway!)?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 4th, 2004 22:00

Timotheus14.

It will not void the Dell warranty.   The following is Dell's policy about this.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kb/en/document?dn=1057010

Bev.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 4th, 2004 23:00

Before buying from Maxtor at the moment, take a few minutes to read the following article.

http://webdesign.ittoolbox.com/news/dispnews.asp?i=124041&t=99

18 Posts

December 5th, 2004 00:00

I have a year and a half old Dell Demension 2350 and have been annoyed with what I consider a rather noisy hard drive. Last month I decided to clean the dust out of the innerds, install a firewire card and bigger hard drive. I built a gaming PC a few months ago and used a pair of Samsung HDs which proved to be very quiet so I decided to put the same one in the Dell. To my surprise, the Samsung in the Dell has the same annoying noise the old drive had albeit somewhat not as loud. I think it is the way they are mounted and the goofy type of "cage" that's used. There is no dampening and the vibration seems to resonate throughout the stamped metal frame. Incidently, the original WD hard drive is virtually silent in the external case I put it in. Go figure! I'm not sure how the drives are mounted in the 4700 so this may not apply. I do think it is possible a new/different brand of hard drive may not solve the noise problem completely.

December 5th, 2004 01:00

Thanks for the useful info. Perhaps the PCs at work have a better mounting for the hard drive. I did run into a customer at CompUSA who seemed to know what he was talking about, who said that when you buy the 7200 RPM hard drives, you should also buy a mounting frame with its own cooling fan since the drives generate so much heat. Perhaps this mounting frame would serve to dampen the noise from the hard drive. From the previous post about Maxtor, perhaps I should consider a Samsung or Hitachi.

December 5th, 2004 01:00

I tried a message search on the words "hard drive noise" and came up with dozens of postings on the same problem. I'm surprised Dell hasn't tried to do something about this problem with their systems.

18 Posts

December 5th, 2004 17:00

That's good to know Timotheus14 about the Dell drive mounting systems and noise. I thought it was just me and never bothered to do any research. I know HDs can generate some heat but I've never seen much of a rise in temps inside my gaming rig even when I'm doing some HD intensive work. I know there are officianados who use HD coolers but wonder if the additional fans would produce a different kind of added noise. Then again the added noise might mask the HD noise. I know that when I need to open the case on my Dell I'll try and isolate that mounting cage with some rubber washers or, as you mentioned, look for a alternative cage/cooler solution. Good luck in your pursuit of peace and quiet.
No Events found!