Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 3rd, 2015 10:00

Notebook Inspiron 1545: Multiple troubles concerning recovery / reinstallation

Hello everybody,

Since this machine has become extremely slow I tried to either do a system recovery or reinstall windows 7 from the Dell dvd. Unfortunately neither option works.

Recovey: When I call up the menu (f8) the first option I get is Computer reparieren (repair computer). Going with that option the machine is loading files for a while, then I choose language and give the admin pwd. After that I get more options, however Dell Factory Image Restore is not one of those. I checked and there is a recovery partion on the hd and windows system tools indicate it's healthy.

Reinstallation: The Dell reinstalltion dvd just doesn't play in my dvd drive. The machine doesn't boot from it and if I try to open the dvd while the computer is running it fails again. Now the funny thing is the dvd opens just fine in other machines, while the dvd player in my inspiron plays other dvds just fine.

So what options do I have? I tried booting from an external dvd drive, but apparently bios doesn't allow for booting from external devices like usb stick or usb connected dvd drive.

I even tried to copy the reinstallation dvd  image to a new disc but that doesn't work because the image is more than 6 GB large so doesn't fit in a normal dvd.

So I'm out of ideas right now. Any help would be very welcome!

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 7th, 2015 05:00

There is no need to update the BIOS - all versions of the 1545 do support USB boot.  Be sure your device IS bootable or it won't show up in the boot list.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

May 4th, 2015 08:00

First thing to do is run an extended hard drive diagnostic - F12 at powerup.

If you have an external DVD reader handy, try that.  

3 Posts

May 5th, 2015 04:00

Thanks for ypur reply. I have meanwhile  found out that the hd indeed has failures, so that may explain why recovery was not an option.

So I have ordered a new hd, but what still concerns me is the fact that the reinstallation dvdv won't work in the dvd player. The question is how can I reinstall windows if this dvd doesn't work? As written above an external player doesn't seem to be a solution, since bios doesn't see it on boot up nor is there an option in bios setup to boot from anything but hd or internal dvdv player.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 6th, 2015 16:00

Hi nopro61,

You can still use your reinstallation DVD to create a bootable Windows 7 flash drive. This makes installing much faster anyway. Please refer to the reinstallation guide I've linked to below for help.

3 Posts

May 7th, 2015 05:00

Hi Osprey, thanks for your reply! While that sounds like a good idea I still don't know if my machine allows for booting from usb. As written above bios doesn't offer this option as far as I can tell, which is why I can't boot from my external dvd reader as well. It would be great if anybody could confirm this?

Perhaps there is an option to upgrade bios so that it allows for booting from usb?

Thanks again

No Events found!