Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 8th, 2012 01:00

OPTIARC AD 7700H will not write...

hi i own an inspiron 1545. recently my DVD drive (optiarc ad 7700H) will not burn dvds or cds but it reads fine. i tried to obtain a suitable firmware update but none was found....also the driver software does not seem to be available anywhere for a reinstall....please help....

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 8th, 2012 05:00

Hi kiriman,

All optical drives use the same generic Windows drivers, so you won't find any updates.

Frequently, a drive that reads but does not burn discs can be fixed using the old upper and lower filter trick. So give that a try. I've got a link to the procedure below.

4 Posts

May 8th, 2012 06:00

thanks for ur prompt reply osprey4. but unfortunately this doesn't seem to work....it displays the problems as resolved but it isn't. any further help would be deeply appreciated....

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 9th, 2012 13:00

Please try the Windows 7 Playing and Burning CDs and DVDs troubleshooter. You may be prompted to repeat the same process.

4 Posts

May 11th, 2012 07:00

nope....the problem still persists....although i tried burning a small  number of files to a rewritable dvd and it worked fine....so i tried reducing the burn speed and number of files on my other dvd but the problem still persists....any further help would be sincerely appreciated...

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 11th, 2012 08:00

Give me a few more details. What media are you using (brand, speed, etc.)? What program are you using to burn files? Do you get any error messages when the burn fails?

4 Posts

May 11th, 2012 10:00

im using sony dvd-r. i've burned files before so im sure my burner supports this format. my rewritable dvd that i used is also sonys. the rewritable wrote at a speed of 4x....so used the exact same speed for my normal dvd although it supports upto 8x...i dont use any particular software i just copy the files and choose burn to disc...the error message i received asks me to check if the firmware for my burner is upto date and try again....( this occurs after it writes for some time....the entire process cannot be completed...just 2 minutes into the writing the procedure fails....)...:(

No Events found!