Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 1st, 2011 20:00

Philips DVD-RW 8701 Fails PC Checkup Tests

When I run PC Checkup, I get the following error messages for my Philips DVD-RW 8701 DVD-RW Drive:

DRAM Test, Flash ROM Test, and Main IC Tests Fail.  I am then advised to install the latest firmware.

I have located the latest drivers and firmware on the Dell website and have re-installed them.   I get the same error message.

I have a Dell XPS DXP051 / XP SP3 / Service Tag < ADMIN NOTE : Service tag removed per privacy policy > and have even run the Driver Reset Tool repeatedly and am advised to repair the driver for the Radeon X300 SE 128MB HyperMemory Secondary.  I allow the tool to repair the driver and the computer automatically reboots.  When I run the Tool again, I get the same notification and result. 

I have spent two days dealing with these issues and have run-out-of-ideas.  I believe that they may be connected to each other.

Please advise . . .

10.9K Posts

January 1st, 2011 20:00

There is only one driver for all CD drives.  It is a generic Microsoft driver
and is supplied by Windows.  What is the problem you are having with the Philips
DVD drive?

2 Posts

January 1st, 2011 21:00

Thank you for your interest . . . Besides making a lot of noise when I use it, the only problem I have with the drive is when I run Dell PC Checkup, the drive fails all of its tests and requests that I download the firmware for the drive.  I have downloaded the driver and firmware.  Installed the driver and flashed the firmware.  When I re-run the the PC Checkup, I still get the Failed message for the DVD drive and the request to install the firmware . . . Regards . . .

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 2nd, 2011 04:00

Hi Hokie76,

Run the Dell diagnostics on your drive. If that's good, then you can safely ignore the PC checkup test.

To test your CD/DVD drive from the utility partition:
1. Reboot your system. When you see the Dell logo, hit F12 to enter the boot menu.
2. Select Boot to utility partition.
3. Select Test System.
4. Select Custom Test.
5. Use the arrow keys or mouse to select your CD/DVD drive.
6. Insert a CD or DVD.
7. Click Run Tests.
8. Write down any error messages.

No Events found!