Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 20th, 2010 20:00

Raid Question

Okay, I just got an Alienware Aurora.  It has space for 4 SATA II Hard Drives.  It came with a 500 Gig drive.  I pulled two 1.5 TB drives from my old system.  My question is, can I get another 500 Gig drive and configure those two as Raid 0 for speed (Boot, Programs), and then configure the two 1.5 TB as Raid 1 for data storage?  The bios configuration specifies that the Sata devices are either AHCI or Raid (currently AHCI).  If I select Raid, do they all have to be the same type of Raid (0, 1, 5, 0r 10)?????

52 Posts

February 20th, 2010 22:00

I'm basing this on an older dell XPS system, but setting the BIOS for RAID just turns the RAID controller on.  Then when you boot there will be an additional screen that lets you get into RAID configuration.  Depending on the RAID controller, you should be able to set up two logical drives with your four physical drives.  Your first logical drive will be 500+500 in RAID O, and your second logical drive will be 1.5+1.5 in RAID 1.

Turning on RAID in the BIOS will let you see the RAID configuration screen even if you don't have RAID set up, so I'd try that first so you can poke around and see what it can do.

No Events found!