Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 9th, 2004 01:00

Recommendations for a second DVD-ROM drive?

Hi,

I have read most of the boards lately and have concluded that its better to have an additional DVD-ROM in the second bay just to watch DVDs and playing games on it. I have a 16x DVD +/- RW DL dvd burner currently on my 8400. Any brand recommendations? I would prefer the drive to have an outer black casing and a not a white color one so it will blends in with the 8400 Tower. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

silz

575 Posts

November 9th, 2004 14:00

Because DVD-ROM's are a fairly settled technology, virtually anything from 10 or more major mfg's that reads DVD's @ 16X and CD's @ 48X would be sufficient. Go to pricegrabber.com and there's 70 or so to choose from (black and beige faceplates). I don't what other optical drive you have but if your DVD burner plays DVD's OK, I don't know why you'd want to get a DVD-Rom.

Tom

87 Posts

November 9th, 2004 15:00

The reason I am getting another DVD drive is for the sole purpose of playing DVD movies and playing games. The DVD burner that comes along with my DELL 8400 system is solely for burning. According to Dell-Cody, DVD drives above 8x or higher speed are pretty sensitive to dust and scratches on the DVDs, thus will accelerate the wear and tear of the DVD drive. Give me an instance where you rent a DVD from Blockbuster or similar and the disk are perfectly clean? Its none unless its the newly release titles. Its impossible unless its brand new and its your own personal copy. It is okay for the wear and tear if its a DVD-ROM cause is cheaper to replace when its at its end life. I am not sure the 3 years DELL warranty covers this.

575 Posts

November 9th, 2004 17:00

silz,

Makes sense...I'm convinced. Here's a link to the Samsung SD616T (Black) DVD-ROM http://www.compuvest.com/Search.jsp?Search=SD616&sort=sell_price&advsite=grabber Reads DVD's @ 16X and CD's @ 48X...$38.00. Its the drive that Dell uses (or at least used) in its Dimensions...I've had one some time and I've had absolutely no trouble with it. There are other makes here http://www.compuvest.com/Items.jsp?CategoryID=17&SubcatID=153

Tom

Message Edited by ortleeb on 11-09-2004 02:44 PM

No Events found!