Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 15th, 2010 10:00

Recovery Partition: Is this Dell or Windows 7?

This is a 10.89GB Healthy (System, Active, Primary Partition). No drive letter. No file system listed under Disk Management, but Easeus Partition Master identifies it as NTFS with 6.7GB used.

Is this a Windows 7 partition or a Dell partition. Dell DataSafe local backup is unable to detect what it calls "The Recovery Partition" since I cloned the original drive to this one, so if this is Dell, I don't need it and will try to delete it.

Any help figuring this out will be appreciated!

Rob

1 Rookie

• 

76 Posts

December 28th, 2010 08:00

zceb90- Thanks! I enjoyed your post. I agree about the relative uselessness of the recovery partition compared to using a backup utility. I have a 2nd 1TB drive in my XPS 8100 with a big chunk of space dedicated to backups. My original 500GB drive is attached externally by eSATA and is used for additional backups. It still has Win7 and the recovery partition on it and I can boot the computer from that drive in the event of a dire emergency.

Rob

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

March 4th, 2011 07:00

hello
how to install a new hard drive recovery and all other programs Cator were on it
was hard with a computer dell inspiron one 19 zgorel

1 Message

September 6th, 2011 14:00

zceb90 - I've registered here only to say thank you. You are the man, I owe you one:)

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 11th, 2012 07:00

Hi stevecook3dw,

Yes, there is a relatively simple way to remove all the junk. Perform a clean installation of the operating system. I've got a link to Natakuc's guides below if you need a procedure to follow.

If you need a Windows disc, go here to order it. Software for installed applications can be downloaded from Mydelldownloads (registration required).

You'll find there are many, mane Dell owners who do this when they purchase new systems.

12 Posts

August 18th, 2013 19:00

Hi sir you may consider using a software to delete the partition,and you can back up your data before you delete the partition. My friend recommend me to use the Partition assistant developed by AOMEI.tech. For more specified steps please check: www.disk-partition.com/.../delete-partition.html

12 Posts

August 18th, 2013 19:00

Hi sir you may consider using a software to delete the partition,and you can back up your data before you delete the partition. My friend recommend me to use the Partition assistant developed by AOMEI.tech. For more specified steps please checkhttp://www.disk-partition.com/help/delete-partition.html

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 3rd, 2013 04:00

You can recover your lost files with third party data recovery software.I have succeed with Recover data For Windows .It can recover data after deeply scanning your hard drive to look for lost files.By the way,you can download a trial version and scan your hard drive for free to preview whether your lost files can be recovered.

8 Posts

May 26th, 2014 13:00

Hi Rob,

I'm having the same problems as you, with my Latitude 6540.

Cloned HDD to a new SSD. Replaced HDD with the new SDD ==> I'd like to remove this damned RECOVERY partition which occupies almost 16GB (of 250GB), which I can never use because being cloned would not work on the SSD (furthermore I already have it in the original HDD).

So, I'm curoious to know if you tried the procedure you described above and if you can remember if it worked for you.

Any other hint?

Bye.
Ettore 

No Events found!