Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

December 27th, 2006 11:00

SATA 0, SATA 1, SATA 2, SATA 3

Long ago I saw my Dim 9100 motherboard had 4 SATA plug spots.  I had added a second drive so only 2 slots are used.  I see from my owner maual that my system can run only 2 SATA drives.

What's the other 2 SATA ports for?

Message Edited by sjmaye on 12-27-200607:56 AM

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

December 27th, 2006 12:00

You can run up to four drives, but the system has power connectors and space for only two - for the others you'll need power converter cables and to find a place to mount them (either in the floppy bay or using a 5.25" adapter if you have only one optical drive).

21 Posts

January 18th, 2007 09:00

I have finally bought another sata drive and need to decide if it will be internal or external.  I would prefer internal if at all possible.

I understand your comments on the power connections.  I currently have 2 sata drives, 2 optical drives and a floppy drive and ATI X850 XT PE video card which required it's own power connector (over and above power from the bus)

Even if I was able to get a connector that allowed me to add the drive internally I am a little concerned my power supply may not be up to powering all the devices.

1- Even with all the currently connected devices is there a power adapter cable that will allow connecting a third sata drive?

2- Can my power supply handle all this?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 18th, 2007 19:00

sjmaye

The power supply should be able to handle a third SATA hard drive.

You could use an power adaptor for the SATA drive, similar to these,

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

21 Posts

January 19th, 2007 06:00

Hi shesagordie,

Thanks for the info and links.  The problem is that I don't know if I have a 4-pin molex power connector left free to convert for use on another sata drive.  I rather thought I did not as I have all the drive bays full with the hardware I mentioned above.

Unfortunately the PC is located in a spot that it is difficult to take out for opening up, but it may just be what I will have to do in order to find out if I have any additional connectors available.

Too bad they don't have the same cables as a Y-connector so it could still feed the original drive as well as a new sata drive.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 19th, 2007 18:00

sjmaye

The D-9100 has four Molex 4-pin power connectors, so there should a spare available,

Bev.

21 Posts

January 19th, 2007 19:00

You are right.  I went ahead and pulled it out.  There is a spare.  Only one issue left.  I thought there was another drive slot to house a third drive.  I was wrong.  There were only 2 and they are already filled.

Unless you know of another way...?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 19th, 2007 21:00

sjmaye

Unless there's an open 3.5" or 5.25" bay that can take a 3.5" hard drive, then you will need to use a USB 2.0 powered external enclosure.

Bev.

1 Message

October 3rd, 2019 06:00

I have read several relatable questions and had my own similar questions about adding add-on cards, external USB devices, and internal HDD's including Solid State SATA drives.

All suggested that I replace the factory build which was something like (approx. can't remember exactly) 250 watts/300 watts max. continues. Adding a graphics card upgrade, a SSHDD and max. RAM dim cards I went for a name brand PS (Power Supply) from EVGA w/a "Bronze" rating in its class of 500 watts which is what my budget barely allowed.

Most comments and PS calculators, (software you can find online or downloads) say to upgrade to at least 3-times the minimum calculated and don't be too frugal about cost. 

You can't really over do it, the system will demand only what it needs but a good PS will also help protect the entire system from Power Surges which can and will happen, e.g. thunderstorm power surges, interruptions from unforeseen conditions like snowstorm outages suddenly causing stuttering power/on/off/on....etc.

Hope this helps.

No Events found!