Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 30th, 2009 10:00

Sony Opttiard DVD AD-5540A not working

I've tried to re-install the driver, it states driver is up to date

I've gone to http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&docid=346785&l=en&s=dhs& and tried to let dell detect/fix the driver problem... I get this message:

We're sorry, but we encountered an unexpected problem and cannot complete this diagnostic solution.

I'm not quite sure why the driver installed isn't working.  It says on that page to go and fix the bios via dell but I can't find the solution via dell to fix the problem with the bios.  I'm assuming some automatic update blew out the CD player.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  I'm running Vista on a Dell XPS M1210.

Drive Not Available
Description CD-ROM Drive
Media Loaded No
Media Type UNKNOWN
Name Optiarc DVD+-RW AD-5540A ATA Device
Manufacturer (Standard CD-ROM drives)
Status Error
Transfer Rate 40500.00 kbytes/sec
SCSI Target ID Not Available
PNP Device ID IDE\CDROMOPTIARC_DVD+-RW_AD-5540A________________102C____\5&3A6BB19F&0&1.0.0
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (6.0.6002.18005, 65.50 KB (67,072 bytes), 8/18/2009 5:39 PM)

<ADMIN NOTE : Service Tag removed per privacy policy>

10.9K Posts

November 30th, 2009 11:00

Can you expand upon "not working"?  Does the drive appear in My Computer?

In the Device Manager, click on the (+) next to DVD/CD-ROM drives
Right-click the drive and select Properties.  Is there an Error Code (number)?

2 Posts

November 30th, 2009 19:00

Thank you Skybird.  It says:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available. "

I'd tried to check for solutions before and again, it goes to checking for soltuions then closes with no evident solution. 

The driver is installed, I tried to uninstall and update driver, didn't work... 

10.9K Posts

December 1st, 2009 05:00

Try this Microsoft article for Windows Vista ............

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/929461

No Events found!