Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

December 31st, 2008 07:00

System boots slow after adding 2nd hard drive

I recently purchased an Optiplex 755 and wanted to installed a 2nd backup hard drive.

I have enabled it in the BIOS and they system recognizes it fine it just takes FOREVER for Windows VISTA ultimate to load...

Here is what it does:

Dell welcome screen boots fine, than it gets to a black screen with a blinking curser in the top left corner of screen, than that goes a way after about 30 seconds, the screen stays ON but is black for more than 3 minutes, computer running, and than Vista FINALLY starts to load (as Normal),  Vista shows hard drive just fine.

The problem is the 3 or mor minute load time, before the VISTA scrolling bar. 

Is it trying to boot from the other hard drive?  The BIOS is set for the correct boot drive. 

This is what I've done:

I have have switched where i have the SATA 2nd drive plugged in on the mother board, even placing it in palce of the DVD drive. Still same problem.  In fact the system loads just fine if I UNPLUG the 2nd hard drive.

Am I supposed to change something in respect to the RAID settings on the BIOS?  What else do I need to do to get this delay to go away???

Specs:

2nd hard drive (the one i'm trying to install) Is a used Maxtor 120GB hard drive, (worked fine in other systems) NOT a boot drive.

System Optiplex 755, Running Windows VISTA ultimate, 3Ghz Duo, 4GB Ram, 250GB hdd (boot drive), DVD-RW.

Help Please.  Thanks.

3.4K Posts

December 31st, 2008 11:00

Hello,

Do you have any Boot time scans that run at startup.

Virus scan, Vista scans?

1 Message

January 17th, 2009 10:00

I am having the same exact issue with two slight differences. I have 2 hard drives, I disconnect the second hd... it boots in seconds. I reconnect the second hd and majority of the time it takes anywhere from 3 minute to 30 minutes but sometimes it works just fine (puzzling). I am wondering if it raid config problem, but if it was wouldn't it do it everytime? Such a strange problem. Any suggestions?

No Events found!