Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 28th, 2011 20:00

TSST Corp DVD+RW T633C - reads CD's not DVDs

Hi, sorry if this is a repeat but ... above DVD drive is not reading DVD's but reads CD's. Attempted the firmware but installer is Flash and with the current Flash issues with 64 bit, the installer is not running properly and just hangs when attempted. Any suggestions? Ken

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 29th, 2011 03:00

Hi kk5033,

Please run the Dell diagnostics on your drive. You'll want to run the custom test, whixh allows you to test just the DVD drive, then perform the read test with a DVD in the drive.

2 Posts

May 29th, 2011 08:00

tried dell diagnostics, error code 2000-0152

tried the read test with a dvd, didn't work, test hung.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 29th, 2011 11:00

Ken,

Sounds like it's time for a new drive. Contact Dell if you are still under warranty

5 Posts

November 22nd, 2011 07:00

I have a studio 1558. I upgraded the firmware from D700 to D900 today on a perfectly working drive. The drive started giving problem imdtly after upgrade. I tried several times & finally restored back to D700. During restore I learnt that mine is 7MM & not 8MM drive.

It contined to behave badly. Finally I rum the Dell diagnostic & found the error 2000-0152. Looks like I am in to deep shit as per your reply. I am not sure how the upgrade can spoil the drive & if so why does It not warrant before upgrade. I did the whole upgrade as per DELL support center guide line & no where they mention any problem like this.

Please suggeat if there is anything I can do to fix the problem.

Regards

Ganapathy

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 22nd, 2011 08:00

Hi Gana12,

That error has some causes that do not indicate a hardware failure. Go to your service manual for instructions on how to remove and replace your drive. After reinstalling, re-run the diagnostics. Be sure to use a data CD in the drive to perform the test.

5 Posts

November 27th, 2011 22:00

Hi ,

I removed & replaced the ODD yesterday. The service manual was very helpful. However the problem is not resolved.The data CD or music CD goes through the test. ERROR 152 appears only when I used Vedio CD/DVD.

Let me see the whole sequence when the problem first appeared.

1. I am wathing a DVD Solomon & Sheba using a new  bluetooth hands free.

2.  The bluetooth gives some problem & I tried to see IN DELL support center 3.0  if there is any solution available.

4. Under this I went to get   Drivers & Downloads. I found no of  updates but the one relevant was BIOS A12 & D900 to my Laptop.

5. I carried out BIOS upgrade which went through succesfully. Did not check ODD at this time.

6. Upgraded to D900 & upon reboot tried to use my DVD just to make sure that everything is OK. That is when I found the problem.

7. It reads DATA CD/Music CD but not vedioCD & DvVD. Infact it flags Vedio CD as blank CD. It simply ejects out Vediod DVD after making all sorts of creeking sound.

I am utterly disoppointed. Hope some one in DELL looks at this problem seriously.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 28th, 2011 16:00

Let me suggest you run the Dell diagnostics again. To test your CD/DVD drive from the utility partition:
1. Reboot your system. When you see the Dell logo, hit F12 to enter the boot menu.
2. Select Boot to utility partition.
3. Select Test System.
4. Select Custom Test.
5. Use the arrow keys or mouse to select your CD/DVD drive.
6. Insert a data DVD.
7. Click Run Tests.
8. Write down any error messages.

This procedure is necessary to be sure you are seeing a hardware failure and not some miscellaneous software problem.

5 Posts

November 30th, 2011 04:00

Utility partition does not show up under BOOT MENU. BOOT MENU HAS THE FOLLOWING SELECTIONS.

Hard drive

CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive

Removable Devices

Diagnostics

Hence, I have run the diagnostics again with a PHOTO DVD as I did not have the DATA DVD. The PHOTO DVD gives the same error. Surprisingly the same DVD has no problem under OS. It loads properly.

I tried to write some files on a blank DVD. I selected USB drive option for write. It took long time but finally fiailed to burn & ejected the media. Again when I read this media   on another HP laptop with a DVD(read only), the files are  indeed  recorded on the media!! I could load those files with out any problem. This means the drive is really writing the files.

Looks like I have problem with Vedio CDs & DVDs. As mentioned earlier the DVD with number  of JPG files loaded with out any problem. Also the ODD  seems to be  burning the  files but unable to flag completion.  I also used this DATA DVD to rum the diagnostics. It failed.

The drive/software seems to be behaving very peculiarly.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 30th, 2011 16:00

I think the best long term solution is to replace the drive. I don't know if your warranty is still in force, but I think Dell would replace the drive under warranty.

5 Posts

December 1st, 2011 09:00

My Laptop is out of warranty by 3months. I was very happy with the product that is till now. Looks like the DELL Support Center turned out for me to be DELL DESTRUCTIVE CENTER. Never again, I will upgrade any of my drivers or firmware based on DELL Recommendation.

I would like to Thank you for your sincere support.

Ganapathy

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 1st, 2011 12:00

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

5 Posts

December 3rd, 2011 09:00

I learnt it hardway. I hope others will learn from this & do not attempt any firmware upgrade particularly to ODD unless they have some serious problem. Dell has crtainly screwed up my machine.

No Events found!