Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

July 12th, 2014 08:00

Unable to burn dvds inspiron 15r turbo (7520)

i am able to read and write cds , read dvds, but unable to write to dvd. I am using windows 8.1 pro completely updated and windows default burning software. What should i do?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 13th, 2014 05:00

Hi ankurra,

Can you describe the problem in more detail? What happens when you try to burn a DVD?

8 Posts

July 14th, 2014 07:00

Well, first windows detects blank disk and asks if i want to pay in dvd player or as usb i.e. formatting the dvd, it is by default on player format (it seems) and format to usb mode fails.So,  i have now a dvd in default format filesystem.  Now if i try to burn an iso image to the dvd or write data to dvd it gets stuck at finalising even at lowest writing speed. i have tried microsoft's cddvd fix troubleshooter. Stuck at "performing final steps to finish this disk."

8 Posts

July 14th, 2014 08:00

Finally, the dvd ejects showing the message , there was an error burning this disc.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 14th, 2014 17:00

Don't format. If you do, you will not be able to burn an ISO.

8 Posts

July 14th, 2014 23:00

Yes, I know. I tried that once I failed to burn an image to the DVD. Anyways the format fails. So, even with no formatting and blank DVD I am unable to burn to the DVD either data or an image.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 15th, 2014 05:00

With a blank DVD-R  or DVD+R in the drive, load the Dell diagnostics and run the test on the DVD writer.  If the disc successfully writes there, you likely have a Windows driver issue.  If it doesn't, you have a hardware issue and the drive needs to be replaced.

Press F12 at powerup or hold the D key at startup to get to the Dell diagnostics.

You will need a blank disc you can dedicate to the task - it will be written to during the test so it will be a throwaway thereafter.

8 Posts

July 15th, 2014 22:00

I went to diagnostics and did the tests, but there was no write test, only obist dram and obit controller tests and it passed them both. The DVD is still blank.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 16th, 2014 05:00

You must boot into the 32-bit Dell diagnostics after all the quick tests run.  From the menu that appears, choose the full CD/DVD test.

8 Posts

July 16th, 2014 12:00

Should I do a complete full test of all systemsto get full test of CD/DVD rw ?

8 Posts

July 16th, 2014 12:00

I know of only one diagnostics that one enters by pressing f12 . there I checked the box in front of full test placed at bottom right side of screen and clicked on CDROM entry and then it started doing the tests. Are you talking about any other diagnostics software?

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 17th, 2014 09:00

Only the CD/DVD read/write test is needed. 

No Events found!