Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 12th, 2011 10:00

Unmountable_boot_Volume

Hi Guys, Help Please.

I have a Inspiron 1545 with a 160 GB hard drive. I get a blue screen on start up stating an Unmounable_boot_volume i can start in safe mode but all options lead to the same blue info screen.

I have tried to start using a vista recovery disk and this loads fine ( although very slowly ) i can get to the DOS prompt ( although it lists the drive as X not C so i am unable to CHKDSK the C drive or FIXBOOT the boot volume) . On running the startup repair tool the system states that it is fixing hard drive errors however this tool runs for over 12 hours and does not change status, i have run this for 2 days before crashing out of it.

On Bios diagnostics i get the error 2000-0146 - i have followed the instructions and removed and re-inserted the hard drive but to no avail.

I am sure the drive still works  its just a corupted boot volume ? I have some really important info on the drive which due the speed of my broadband uplink had not made it up to my "backup cloud" .

Can anyone help please

Very best reagdrs

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 12th, 2011 16:00

your hard drive is toast

3 Posts

January 13th, 2011 07:00

very helpful ..... anyone else got any useful comments

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

The post is correct, if brief.  You will need a new, 2.5" SATA hard drive , 9.5 mm or shallower - once you install it, you'll then need to reload everything.

If you didn't get a copy of Windows with the system and are in the US, see:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&redirect=1

3 Posts

Thanks EJN63,

is the info on the drive lost ? or is it just the boot sector ? in other words will i be able to connect this as a slave drive and recover the files on it ?

Any ideas

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

January 13th, 2011 12:00

Before buying, check the BIOS setup - if the drive isn't recognized (i.e., not installed or unknown), it's beyond home recovery - you may be able to retrieve the data but will need a data recovery service.  Such service isn't cheap - it'll be well over $1,000.  If the drive is recognized, then proceed with an external case (in fact, if you don't have one, buy one anyway -- along with TWO replacement drives - one internal and the other to use for backups).

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 13th, 2011 12:00

Hi Jimdev01,

I recommend you purchase a 2.5" drive external USB enclosure. Get it from a local store. That way, if the drive is completely dead, you can take back the enclosure.

No Events found!