Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

January 7th, 2007 18:00

Watching DVD's - Sound skips regardless of which media player

Have an Inspiron 1300. Pretty new, 1.6 Processor, 1 gig ram and 80 gig harddrive.

Surprisingly good speakers - but no good, as when watching a film the sound skips like it was an old CD player in a bumpy car! I have tried using Dell Media Experience, Windows Media Player and VLC Media Player, all to no avail.

Also - when iTunes is running, many operations like scrolling down a page make it skip, although not sure if this is related.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Many thanks

Guitarslave

January 8th, 2007 23:00

yes, i am having the exact same problem...when i am watching DVD's the audio is very jumpy and poor quality...also when i am uploading a CD in itunes attempts to play the CD at the same time, the audio is also jumpy. i am also experienceing the same problems while scrolling in internet explorer or mozilla firefox-

PLEASE HELP!!

40 Posts

January 9th, 2007 11:00

Go to Device Manager > IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers > Secondary IDE channel > Properties > Advanced Settings : Check the current transfer mode. If it says PIO, then uninstall Secondary IDE cannel. Windows should automatically re-install the secondary channel with DMA mode enabled. If it already says Ultra DMA mode then the problem is something else. Post again with your results.

January 9th, 2007 15:00

im pretty sure thats what technical support had me do over the phone, but it took them awhile to figure out that was the problem--but it worked fine. thanks javascript&colonjavascript&colonquotePost();
javascript&colonjavascript&colonquotePost();anyway.

January 9th, 2007 18:00

Thanks PhoenixFX I had already tried this via the troubleshooter for my Primary IDE Channel, however I don't have a secondary IDE channel so can't change its mode. Is this the problem? Otherwise the problem is somewhere else.

January 11th, 2007 01:00

Very simple fix....

Download the patch from the link  pio2dma.notlong.com
Then unzip the file. Go to the location where the patch is unzipped.
Double click the file. (It will seem as if nothing happened).
Restart your computer.

Should fix the issue.................

Please reply with the results.

January 11th, 2007 17:00

Thanks for that, it seems to have helped as the skips are now far less regular, but they are still present. I have tried several DVD's so its not that, but this is an improvement. Anyone else got any ideas?

January 29th, 2007 07:00

I had the same problem with my 1300.  After calling Dell support I ended up getting an exchange as Tech support could not help me resolve the skipping when playing any media file.  DVD's, store bought audio CD's, Avi files, MPEG files, and even MP3's all would skip when played.  All of which played fine on my desktop pc.  And guess what!!  My replacement Inspiron 1300 did the same thing right out of the box!!  So, I returned it and bought a used older Latitude.  It plays everything fine :)  If you can still return your 1300 you might want to do so and choose a different model.

73 Posts

December 7th, 2009 10:00

@PhoenixFx

Thanks man...

This fixed it for me!

I wonder how it got changed to PIO ...

Frank

No Events found!