Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 27th, 2009 15:00

Weird DH-16A6S DVD+RW audio burning issues

Hello, folks....I'm new to the forums, but not to Dell computers; hopefully someone can enlighten me on my issue...:emotion-1:

I've got a brand-new Inspiron 530 desktop with the XP SP3 o/s and Intel Core 2 Quad CDPU Q9550 @  2.83 GHz processor. It sports a PLDS DH-16A6S DVD+RW drive, that until recently, has been operating flawlessly.

Now suddenly, the problem that I'm having is that the drive will write DVD+R discs perfectly (I use Sony brand discs, and VSO Convert X to DVD software), but when I try to write to CD-R discs, I only get about 3 to 5 songs on a disc before I either 1), get an error code, or 2), the disc finalizes prematurely. I have tried using WMP11, Roxio Creator DE, Nero 6 and 7, and a few other audio burning programs, but the results are always the same. I also have a Dell Dimension 4500 desktop with a Sony DVD+RW drive and the same Roxio DE suite, and it burns audio CD's fine (and they are the same Sony brand).

I had Daemon Tools Lite installed at one time on the 530 (for mounting virtual drives), but I removed that under recommendation that it might be causing a conflict, but to no avail...does anyone here have any ideas what could cause this? I will be glad to provide any extra system info that might help...this is driving me nuts, and I have wasted about 10 blank discs trying to figure it out! :emotion-12:

Thanks,

Rob

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 28th, 2009 05:00

Hi, Rob:

Nero is your best friend here. You need to perform a test burn and let the program report whatever problems you're having.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 28th, 2009 07:00

Yes, I would reinstall version 7. Run a test burn of a CD and let me know what happens.

Since you're using XP, please confirm that you're not using any packet writing programs, like Roxio Drag-to-disc.

December 28th, 2009 07:00

Osprey,

Since I posted my question here (and whilst waiting for a reply), I have removed Nero...should I reinstall it to generate a failed burn report?

Rob

December 28th, 2009 10:00

Osprey,

I'll reinstall Nero 7 and run the program for the summary info, and post it here for you to see. :emotion-1:

Clarify one thing for me, though, on the "packet writing" program...I'm not sure if my Roxio DE is that type: how can I tell?

Rob

December 29th, 2009 08:00

Osprey,

I reinstalled the Nero 7, and tried to run a test burn, but all it gave me was a little error box with a cryptic message along the lines of "Burn process failed at sector XXXXXXX", or something like that, and it only ripped 4 out of 20 mp3 files. I looked for a "report print" function, but there wasn't an option for that, and I looked at all my program options to see if any type of post-burn report was available, but couldn't find anything....I'm stumped as to what to do next.

Rob

No Events found!