Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 26th, 2012 13:00

XPS 14 Disk Partitions

Can anyone tell me how many partitions are supposed to be on the XPS 14 ultrabook? I used a partition manager to check and found out of a 500 GB drive, I found several partitions but don't know that they are being utilized correctly. My problem began when I tried to install Windows 7 Ultimate and it corrupted my OS so I had to reinstall the OEM version with a Dell supplied bootable USB. I thought there was a partition on the drive used for saving images for backing up the system but my computer wont recognize it. Using the partition tool, I found 8 GB that is partitioned out though I can't access it. Does this look normal to everyone? Also, does 416 GB free out of 500 GB sound right? Right now I only have the OS and Office 2010 installed along with Dell bloatware.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 27th, 2012 05:00

Hi XPSed,

There should be three partitions, the OS, the system image, and the utility partition. If you want to upgrade your OS, you can do a "Windows 7 Anytime Upgrade". Or if you have your own Win 7 Ultimate disc, you'll need to wipe the hard drive completely and start from scratch.

BTW, you do not have 416 GB free. That's the size of your OS partition. Of that, you have 383 GB free, which is about right.

2 Posts

August 27th, 2012 06:00

Thank you for clearing that up for me. I guess my concern is that if you add up all the partitions, you don't get 500 GB. And I am supposed to have a 32 GB SSD which I believe must be more of a hybrid drive than a true SSD so of the 500 GB drive, 32 GB is SSD. So would that be the unallocated portion of my drive though it is more than 32 GB? Which portion is dedicated as utility and which for system image?

My other issue is that I had several system images or restore points on the computer before I reinstalled windows and now I don't have any nor can I create them on the disk.

No Events found!