Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 21st, 2010 03:00

XPS 420 - disk structure is corrupted and unreadable

I have an XPS 420 with a 640 GB SATA hard drive. I used Acronis Disk Director to split the drive into 2 partitions.

The system was initially running Vista 32-bit and was recently upgraded to Windows 7 32-bit.

I keep getting these messages that the "disk structure is corrupted and unreadable". I run checkdsk /f to fix the problem, but it happens again, sometimes within hours, sometime within days. I installed a replacement hard drive, which did nothing to fix the problem. This problem was occuring BEFORE the upgrade to Windows 7.

A number of the directories are shared and accessed from other systems on my network. (I do this with other PC without any problems.)

I am at the point of getting rid of the system since I keep lossing files.

Any suggestions?

John

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 21st, 2010 05:00

Hi, John:

I'll be happy to take it off your hands! :emotion-2:

Seriously, though, you need to test the drive. I don't know if your Acronis disc has a utility but you could also use the Dell diagnostics. But you need to run it from the resource disc. Yes, I understand it's a new drive, but that's the first thing you need to do.

Did you perform an upgrade or clean Win 7 installation?

Edit: Also saw a suggestion to update the BIOS, then wipe the drive using your OS disc and restore your last image. Give that a try.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 21st, 2010 09:00

When you run chkdsk from the command prompt, you should use the /R parameter for repair instead of /F. I'd buy a new hard drive and replace the problem one. They are cheap enough nowadays. Here's the command to use: CHKDSK   /R

January 21st, 2010 09:00

I'll be happy to take it off your hands! :emotion-2:

Make me an offer. :emotion-55:

Seriously, I have run the WGC disk tests, the Dell Diagnostics (whole system), and a free ware disk test program. None of the programs finds any errors.

The Windows 7 was an upgrade. But I had problems before the upgrade.

John

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 21st, 2010 12:00

Ok, I found something that I believe is going to help in this post.

Note: "The problem is with an incompatibility between Acronis Disk Director (and presumable other Acronis tools that format the disk) and Windows 7."

You might want to contact Acronis for help.

January 25th, 2010 04:00

Note: "The problem is with an incompatibility between Acronis Disk Director (and presumable other Acronis tools that format the disk) and Windows 7."

Interesting, but I had the problem BEFORE I installed Windows 7.

On a side note, I was having problems with Windows Home Server backing up this system. I removed ZoneAlarm and the problem went away.

What is also interesting, is that I have not had any disk corruption since I removed ZoneAlarm.  Weird or Lucky?

John

No Events found!