Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 14th, 2013 08:00

dvd drive, plays cd's,dvds but will not burn does not recognize any cd's loaded into it????

:emotion-9:

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 16th, 2013 17:00

I want you to try the upper and lower filter trick (link below). This often fixes the problem with DVD burners not recognizing DVD discs.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 14th, 2013 08:00

Hi vid345,

I'm going to move this message to the disk drives forum, which is the best place to get help for your issue.

Your subject is a little strange. You say your drive plays CDs but does not recognize any CDs? Can you explain further?

I also need the model of your Dell desktop and operating system.

11 Posts

April 15th, 2013 08:00

Hi: I just checked the DVD drive and must amend my original question. I find the cd's do not play in windows media player nor can I burn using windows media player. However I can play cd's with another player I have installed. Also the windows media player can play a DVD movie????? I have an INSPIRON 620 with windows 7 service pack 1. I do not think this media player installed correctly from day one.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 15th, 2013 17:00

I think Windows Media Center will play DVDs if you have a program like PowerDVD installed. Not Windows Media Player.

So the problems are all related to WMP? Or are you saying the problem drive will not burn CD or DVD media at all?

11 Posts

April 16th, 2013 05:00

Hi: I can play DVD's watched a movie the other day, however blank DVD_RW are not recognized. When I go to computer click on DVD-RW Drive with a blank recordable DVD_RW it shows the dvd as full and keeps asking for me to insert a dvd into it even though there is one there. Also cannot burn a wmp because of this glitch. I have never tried to record a movie, not likely ever will, but assume if the DVD is not recognized this would not work either. Should the DVD_RW when inserted start with autoplay? even if blank. Got me stumped.

11 Posts

April 17th, 2013 04:00

Hi: 2 Thumbs up, the problem has been corrected. Everything is back to normal. Many thanks!!!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 17th, 2013 17:00

Excellent!

11 Posts

April 18th, 2013 05:00

Hi: Its  another annoying problem, that I did not have before. How do you tell in what format you are burning with? I burnt a cd , tried a quick check to see if it worked and it played just fine. However when I tried to play it in my car cd player it shows err and nothing happens. Is it in a format my car cd player cannot use?  Can I find a place to change the format? Thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 18th, 2013 17:00

For most car stereos, you want audio CD format. Normally, when you burn music files, such as MP3, WMA or FLAC, to a CD, the burning program will automatically convert to audio CD. Cars newer than about 2005-2006 mostly can play MP3 audio format. But some older cars cannot even play CD-R discs at all. Just depends on the vehicle and the stereo.

11 Posts

April 19th, 2013 04:00

Thanks: My car is a 2003 model. It obviously won't play the DVD-RW that I used for my burn. Back to Staples for some CD-R's. Thanks again for your help. :emotion-21:

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 19th, 2013 16:00

You're welcome!

1 Message

September 26th, 2019 15:00

I can't find the solution - upper filter- lower filter - you mentioned. Can you please send it to me?  Thanks

No Events found!