Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 19th, 2008 18:00

hard drive installation for dell inspiron 6000

my hard drive crshed so i bought a new hard drive WD 160GB EIDE ( recommended by dell) for my laptop dell inspiron 6000  i use windows XP home edition.

i installed the hard drive and windows xp by using dell CD which has the operating system..the hard drive was formatted and the win xp was installed.

after that was done i was unable to connect to the internet( i use Att-uverse) called Att and they triedn everything possible was unable to connect...( internet connection is fine because i can use my desktop)  .

in device manager i noticed that there are few drivers missing:

in device manager under other devices the following is missing:

Ethernet Controller

Multimedia Audio Controller

Network Controller

PCI Device

PCI Modem

Universal Serial Bus (USB ) Controller

Video Controller( VGA Compatible)

what should i do? where can i find these drivers and how to download them to my laptop? remeber i cant connect to the internet by using the laptop..but i can by using the desktop.

i tried to install the drivers in device manager but it didnt find it and it asked to connect to the internet.

any idea or suggestion what to do?

thank you very much

6.4K Posts

December 19th, 2008 19:00

You will need to download the drivers one at a time from here:  Inspiron 6000 Drivers.  The order of installation is Notebook System Software (found in System Utilities), Intel Chipset Driver, Video Adapter Driver, Onboard Network Interface Adapter, Sound Adapter, and Modem (if you have one).  Remaining drivers may be installed in the order of your choice.

To install the file, double click the filename to trigger the automatic decompression.  The files will be installed into the C:\Dell\Drivers directory and an installation wizard should appear.  Direct it to install the file and restart the computer when the install is complete.  Proceed to the next.

You do not need every file in the list; it will help a lot if you can identify the hardware in your computer.  If you go here, Original System Configuration, click on the tab, enter your service tag number, you will get a short version of the packing list for the computer.  If that doesn't work out, you can also click the tab "Current System Configuration", and the page will install an application to identify your hardware.

7 Posts

December 19th, 2008 22:00

thank you very much . i will follow your instruction and let you know about the result

thanx

7 Posts

December 21st, 2008 16:00

i used my desktop to download the ethernet controller on a cd   ..then inserted the cd into the laptop and downloaded the driver..it worked fine and i was able to restore the internet connection

thanx

6.4K Posts

December 21st, 2008 20:00

You're very welcome.  Good luck!

26 Posts

February 26th, 2009 09:00

Hallelujah, thank God you guys post here.  I just received my reinstallation CD"s from Dell the other day, and tried to follow their instructions, but the Media Center portion did not want to go as planned.  I finally got it all installed.  Looks like I need more drivers.  I have no audio or video playback, no internet.  I got wi-fi functional and bluetooth was able to merge with my phone.  Wi-fi picks up my wireless broadband, but can not connect to the internet, so I still have much work to do. 

I am going to download the drivers at the link above and see if I can finally get it all functioning. 

I was having a lot of windows errors - blue screen of death a few times, that I thought was going to crash completley, so I was always backing everything up.  I was constantly getting windows disk is full errors and occasionally physical memory dumps and there was nothing really left on my laptop at that point, just programs basically.  Finally I just put everything I needed on a portable hard drive and ordered the reinstallation package.

Thanks for all of the great advice.  I will be following it to get my laptop back in good order.  You guys are life savers!!  :emotion-2:

26 Posts

February 28th, 2009 11:00

I'm back up and running.  Computer actually works (or seems to work) better than it did out of the box.  Internet is instantenous, music and video are working great - Dell Media Experience is working and responding well and I can burn CD's.  Only one thing I have not yet been able to figure out  is my clock - the time is way off.  I'm in the Eastern time zone and when I select it, time is about 7 hours advanced of where it should be.  I have had to manually set the clock.  Other than that, it's working just great.

Wi-fi, Bluetooth, it all just came together.  I followed the link to the drivers and copied them to a flash drive and installed all of them, but still did not have internet and sound.  I did some research and tried another wireless adapter and it did the trick.  I have all of these drivers backed up on my flash drive, just in case...

It is almost like having a new computer, thanks everyone who posts here.  It was very helpful.  I felt so victorious when it all came together.

Thank you and have a great weekend everyone. :emotion-21: :emotion-2:

26 Posts

March 11th, 2009 12:00

FYI - IP address may need to be manually entered after re-installation of  Windows XP.  My internet connection went out after I got it all up and running and I could not figure out why it would not reconnect.  My son looked at it, manually entered the IP address and it is working just fine.

No Events found!